British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Taikonaut

Toning technique

I've been trying toning ancient silver recently. I just don't like the clean look.

I'm getting mix result usually takes several attempt and its more accidental getting there.

My preference are light to medium even tone and have been using liver of sulphur. The mixture and temp need to be perfected though.

Any clue?

just play with it , 

I didn't know sulphur had a liver :o

^ My GP has the same opinion of me.

• Like 1

I'm told that if you put in a jam jar with a hard-boiled egg, it will release enough H2S to tone silver. I've never tried this but chemically it makes some sense, I suppose. Suggest you test the theory with a dispensable item first. I've no idea how long you would leave it but presumably this would be a gradual process.

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I'm told that if you put in a jam jar with a hard-boiled egg, it will release enough H2S to tone silver. I've never tried this but chemically it makes some sense, I suppose. Suggest you test the theory with a dispensable item first. I've no idea how long you would leave it but presumably this would be a gradual process.

I've used that method it work's. I mushed up an hard boiled egg and put it in a tupperware dish to one side then used a dot of blue tack to stand my coin on its edge. Shut the lid and watched it tone off nicely. Good cheap method. 

• Like 1

When finished a bit of mayo and some cress....voila sandwiches.;)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I've used that method it work's. I mushed up an hard boiled egg and put it in a tupperware dish to one side then used a dot of blue tack to stand my coin on its edge. Shut the lid and watched it tone off nicely. Good cheap method. 

How long does it take? Are we talking days or weeks?

It depends on how toned you want it really. You can see it changing within minutes if you use a clear container. I only gave mine about 25 minutes and that was dark enough for me. 

I presume the egg is uneatable afterwards

I tried egg AND liver of sulphur in the past, but never got it looking nice, I could never get that 'thick' feeling of a nice deep, rich, tone, it always looked 'thin' and lacking the depth and shimmer of a nice old tone.

also, without any rationale whatsoever the tone on some coins, achieved this way, would just wash off and look awful. ?

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

I presume the egg is uneatable afterwards

It could of been if I'd of wanted too. It was in an airtight container. Didn't fancy it at the time. 

I have some result with a technique that involve a bit of heat, a tarnished silver cup and liver of sulphur combo.

Able to get a Roman silver with natural toning. I guess if I leave it in the silver cup for a few months it would look like its came from an old collection:)

On 11/09/2017 at 9:04 PM, Ukstu said:

It could of been if I'd of wanted too. It was in an airtight container. Didn't fancy it at the time. 

I thought you put the coin in the jar with the egg shells and the crushed up egg in the container was for you if you got peckish waiting for the coin to tone :)?