British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Rare Groats Setting Records at DNW Today

As most readers are likely aware, DNW had a sale today - which is still ongoing in fact. The rarer Vicky (well, Billy too) fared rather well with aggressive buying evidently by the Japanese contingent. The gold Willy 1836 went for 8.5k pounds, as did the finer of the 1837 Vicky proofs. The lesser of the 1837s still fetched 3200! Way out of my league and so bowed out. The 1842 & 1853 proofs went around 8 & 1200 by memory; there also was an 1838 proof at 1100 and a circulated grained edge 1838 that went near to 400 - I just found not see this as all the special given that there are some very proof-like appearing currencies available to the market on occasion. I was surprised that the 1852s did not do better at around 460 by memory. The 1853 two currency lot went for 700 - and I let it go also.

Possibly the collector buy of the day was the 1857 lightly circulated specimen that went 1900, the THREE 1862s went for 1300-1800 which were prices I thought fairly reasonable (though I left them alone). All in all, definitely the best collection of groats I have ever seen.

I bought 4 groats 2 proofs and 2 currency and I also picked up a crown and a sixpence.

Not in the same league as Rob or Vicky but I picked up a couple of groats as well, an upgrade and a gap filled.

It was a mixture of commission bids, stock and for me. Not all for me, sadly. :(

I really liked some of the patterns. Not enough to bid on them though. My focus is elsewhere. :)

Always interesting to see how well, or badly, coins did in the auction. I didn't bid at DNW this time around as I didn't see anything I really wanted. Hopefully, nbext time will be better.

27 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Always interesting to see how well, or badly, coins did in the auction. I didn't bid at DNW this time around as I didn't see anything I really wanted. Hopefully, nbext time will be better.

Still two days left. ;)