British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I've just signed up as I was wondering if someone would be able to give me any help with this coin that a friend gave to me.  Although I have always been interested in coins it has only ever been a casual hobby I have a small collection mostly consisting of coins given to me by friends and family.  After a little research online I think I have identified it as a  England, Edward I (1272-1307), Penny, 1.43g., 20mm but I'm struggling to find any other information about the coin, alot of the coins from this period seems to be very similar in appearance.  As someone new to coins where is the best place to learn more?

Thanks in advance for any help received,

Kind Regards,

JimmyMercia.

IMG_20170613_172622.jpg

IMG_20170613_172631.jpg

If you are interested in Edward I then probably the best place to start would be a copy of "The Galata Guide to The pennies of Edward I & II" . This will keep you occupied for hours with the 100+ varieties. If you have just a passing interest then just wait for the other replies and someone will try to identify it for you. There seems to be something wrong with the DNS part of the inscription which is interesting. Second choice of book would be Wren "The English Long-Cross Pennies 1279-1489. After a cursory look it appears to be an early class with open C and E and wedge S? I cannot go further but it might just be a stirling immitation. See what everyone else says.

• Like 1

Hi Welcome Jim

Yes it looks like an Edward Ist Longcross penny. London mint.

I struggle to classify these coins into there correct classes so i won't attempt that. Perhaps someone else can. 

Here's some further reading that may help you on your quest. 

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwardian-Pennies/Edwardian%20Pennies%20P1.htm

Regards

Stu. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Thanks alot for the replies, I will definitely look at getting a copy of  The Galata Guide to The pennies of Edward I & II for further reading.  

Also, many thanks for the link, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Edited by JimmyMercia
  • Like 1

Your welcome Jim. 

Good luck. ?

Just looking at it briefly without books, whilst is hasn't got all the classic indicators of a Class 11 crown (a lot of it being clogged and poorly struck), what remains points to Class 11 and this is what I think it is, making it Edward II 

would need a better look with the literature, of course! The galata guide, and UKDFD link are both excellent resources.

I have about a dozen of these but am useless at attributing to specific classes, so the above link will make for very interesting reading.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me about this one which appears to have extra pellets in one of the reverse quarters? Thanks.

London 1-b.jpg

London 1-a.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo