British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Photographing Proof Silver

Finding it very hard to represent what it looks like in hand, and of course this changes massively with lighting and angles in any case!

1937 crown attempt

1937_cr_pf_01_01_2400.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely crown, Paulus, and a great job with the photo! I'm going to start experimenting with images of my coins this Summer too. I work away most of the year, so I often miss my collection, and I really should get into the 21st century! If I could produce some photos even half as good as your crown pic, I'd be happy! :)

• Like 1

Pressing on with more coins in this set, which I must say seem to be near FDC :)

1937_hc_pf_01_01_2400.jpg

1937_fl_pf_01_01_2400.jpg

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 4

I will display the full matched set at some point, for now these are the next few:

1937_sh_pf_01_01_2400.jpg

1937_sh_s_pf_01_01_2400.jpg

1937_sx_pf_01_01_2400.jpg

1937_brass_3d_pf_01_01_2400.jpg

• Like 3

You could try with attenuating the light source a bit, I use tracing paper on a custom box

atte.jpg

The effect is quite notable:

(on the left is direct light attenuated at source, on the right is with the tracing paper screen between the light and the glass)

ecuRES.jpg

Unfortunately I don't own any coins like yours to compare; all my proofs are modern bullion which combine frosty and mirror devices. However you look at it, they are a nightmare to photograph. This morning I've been trying with an australian dollar, which is polished like stupid, and is just impossible to make it look attractive! Although it's an ugly coin, let's face it. Like 99% of bullion pieces

dollar.jpg

• Like 2

Well Leo you have definately got the pictures right ....Hat Off :)

• Like 1

On 02/07/2017 at 2:27 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Well Leo you have definately got the pictures right ....Hat Off :)

Definitely! Very impressed with that technique, thanks for sharing, Leo! ?