British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Edward I / Edward II penny Group Divide

Apologies if this has already been covered in the forum somewhere (I've searched but can't find the answer). I'm getting a little confused over Edward I/II pennies. Please could somebody tell me in what group pennies stopped being Edward I and become Edward II. Is it type 12?

According to Spink its Class 11a. ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

According to Spink its Class 11a. ?

Thank you, Ukstu :) 

• Like 1

Not as straight forward as that, sadly...there's literature arguing one way or the other across a small window of types, so ultimately you'll have to find a place you're comfortable with, and accept it's the best you can do in light of the evidence!

In reality, the primitive method of minting coins and cutting dies of that period are always going to overlap.

Consider this: when the great recoinage potentially includes coins that have covered many, many, hundreds of year's circulation, I can't imagine for a second that a monarch's changeover could be distinguished by just a few die/punch details, even when their own vanity is taken into account? 

The great news is we'll know one day, simply because collectors are constantly asking the questions and digging ever deeper into the dies and historical documents! For the moment, however, I'm personallly happy with the Bente/Withers division. If this ever definitively changes, my coins won't...I'll just move one or maybe two coins along the page, nothing more! :) 

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 2