British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Ed 1d Penny ex. Elmore-Jones

It is mostly a Seaby ticket, probably written by Frank Purvey. The description side will have a price underneath the tipex, so the overtype and Seaby 22/12/83 and dimensions will be a different person's hand who I haven't looked for yet. It was bought by Seaby in 1983, 7585 would usually be the stock number, but I am having difficulty reconciling that with either a Bulletin reference or a hammer price of 200. The letter to the right is usually the place or person acquired from, so H could be G(lendining) to hide the source with EOT the cost code as the denominator. On occasion these details were adjusted by one to hide the detail of round numbers - so my Ed.IV ryal has M(anson)C(hristie) / 919 (£9/19/- written backwards) as the cost code to disguise the fact it cost £10 for example. That would make EOT the cost code equal to 002 (£200) suggesting E is a multiplier, T is 2 and O is 0. On the other side, P24485 is also possibly the stock number. It is a bit confusing, so suggest you look at plate 33 to help explain.

There was an illustrated class 1d ex FEJ in June 1983's Bulletin (E344) but that was the other 1d in the lot with both Ns reverse barred. This coin is probably E435 from the following month's bulletin, listed as nEF (£70), but not attributed to FEJ, as there are no further 1d pennies in 1983 Bulletins. I don't have the buyer listed for FEJ lot 1258, but assume Seaby's.

Wow, thanks, Rob, phenomenal! 

Just as a point of interest the two obverse Ns are reverse barred on my example. Have you seen the coin in the June 83 bulletin? How did you know it was in there, and another class 1d was in the later one?

13 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Wow, thanks, Rob, phenomenal! 

Just as a point of interest the two obverse Ns are reverse barred on my example. Have you seen the coin in the June 83 bulletin? How did you know it was in there, and another class 1d was in the later one?

Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm talking about the reverse Ns. Yours only has one reversed. The June one has both reversed (illustrated) and says ex FEJ, the July one gives no detail. The sale was April, and the ticket says Seaby Dec.83, so only 8 months of Bulletins to peruse. There were 2 1d pennies in the lot of 5, one of which had both Ns reversed on the reverse, so that must be the other one.

I looked in the Bulletin because it is obviously a Seaby ticket.