British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Ed 1d Penny ex. Elmore-Jones

Lord knows what the circumstances were, but I've just snapped up a coin on eBay for £96 that was sold by Lloyd Bennett only last month! 

Beautiful little thing in hand! Anyone know where/when the FEJ collection got sold off?

IMG_3395.PNG

• Like 3

The F. Elmore Jones Collection of English Coins. (Glendining). Auction (12 May 1971) – Anglo-Saxon Silver Pennies // Auction (13 April 1983) – Norman and Plantagenet Coins, Part I // Auction (10 April 1984) – Norman and Plantagenet Coins, Part II.

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Dont know if any use but the catalogue for sale on Galata.

That's very much of use, thanks, Pete! ?

Emailed seller asking whether he had any ticket with it? There's now one on the way for the price of a PayPal beer...best beer I've bought! I'm wondering if it's Elmore-Jones'?

9 hours ago, Coinery said:

That's very much of use, thanks, Pete! ?

Ahh, sadly it's the Anglo Saxon part of his collection - described as 'nearly all coins in plate' so would've been good! Hey ho! :) 

It isn't illustrated in any case. It is part of lot 1258 (5).

10 hours ago, Rob said:

It isn't illustrated in any case. It is part of lot 1258 (5).

Not sure what's going on with my ability to post! I've had something glitchy going on since last night!

Anyway, many thanks, Rob, much appreciated! Was that Part 1 or Part 2?

Part 1. I've got a spare catalogue here if you need one, but suspect the boat won't have room. ;)

On 6/12/2017 at 2:01 PM, Coinery said:

Lord knows what the circumstances were, but I've just snapped up a coin on eBay for £96 that was sold by Lloyd Bennett only last month! 

Beautiful little thing in hand! Anyone know where/when the FEJ collection got sold off?

IMG_3395.PNG

What a bargain for such a nice coin. This year it seems nearly impossible to find any grade Edward I pennies. I've submitted a 'want list' with several dealers now, but the top grade Edward I coins are either literally bought the moment they are listed on websites, or impossible to win in auctions. Perhaps I need to work on my auction bidding skills!      

4 hours ago, Descartes said:

What a bargain for such a nice coin. This year it seems nearly impossible to find any grade Edward I pennies. I've submitted a 'want list' with several dealers now, but the top grade Edward I coins are either literally bought the moment they are listed on websites, or impossible to win in auctions. Perhaps I need to work on my auction bidding skills!      

Well done Stu! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Descartes said:

Hey, thanks, m'friend! Yes, I was really pleased to win it! It was one of those delightful moments where you chuck £150 bid on in the last seconds and then get a really nice surprise! :)

Does anyone have the Spink 2017 VF price for Class 1d handy?

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Part 1. I've got a spare catalogue here if you need one, but suspect the boat won't have room. ;)

Ha, yes, the boat is getting smaller and smaller!

The seller is sending me the old ticket, so I'll be interested to see where that points me? I'd definitely be interested in a copy of the catalogue if I can make a reasonable link between the two, though!

Elmore Jones' tickets are fairly distinctive and he liked writing them judging by the number seen

Congratulations :) Very nice penny, not easy to find it in a similar conservation. ! I really like the Edwardian sterlings especially when they come from old collections .. 

It would be interesting to create a new discussion about the old tickets

4 minutes ago, Matteo95 said:

Congratulations :) Very nice penny, not easy to find it in a similar conservation. ! I really like the Edwardian sterlings especially when they come from old collections .. 

It would be interesting to create a new discussion about the old tickets

I was thinking the same, but the problem is that there needs to be some method of putting them into alphabetical order. You have Eaglen's article in the 2001 BNJ which can go as a stand-alone link, but when it comes to uploading examples of named tickets in the thread they will go in chronological order - which isn't very helpful.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I was thinking the same, but the problem is that there needs to be some method of putting them into alphabetical order. You have Eaglen's article in the 2001 BNJ which can go as a stand-alone link, but when it comes to uploading examples of named tickets in the thread they will go in chronological order - which isn't very helpful.

Yes , you're right. We could start posting just a series of tickets / envelopes and then we put it in order on a word page that will be avaible on the first post

Great idea re the ticket resource...we could definitely do with a logical online reference/resource! Equally, it would be great to have a digital record of all these tickets and the coins they relate to, if only to preserve the collectible history of the coins. The OP coin is a class example of potential lost heritage, in that had I not emailed the seller asking whether there was an old ticket with the coin, the Elmore connection could've been lost forever, given the coin isn't a plate coin in the catalogue. Having said that I haven't received it yet!

As I said before, the idea has long seemed logical to me, but lack of computing skills means I have no solution applicable to a forum. It is easy if you compile your own database because all you have to do is choose a systematic file naming format and the files will self-arrange. Simple. Unfortunately I cannot envisage that being an option on a thread which must default to chronological order if it is to be intelligible in any way.

I'm not sure Matteo's suggestion of posting a series of tickets and then putting them in order on a word document would work because only admin has the ability change the forum. Surely, by extension, any contribution will require an additional document to be uploaded, at which point it would be better if the position in the list could be determined at upload?

It doesn't actually need to have the regular features of a forum as it would be more a repository for data than a discussion board. As a database, there would be no requirement to have a thread of comments as this would merely complicate an otherwise useful tool.

All that needs to be uploaded is a picture of the ticket with a ruler alongside to show the size and a name together with any useful info such as sale dates. The ability to append info to the document would be an asset because you often find different sizes of tickets used by the same person. Writing styles also vary over time.

Rob, what about uploading images and related coins here for assessment and verification/debate, and then I can keep adding them to a series of A4ish PDF files or similar, jpeg by pixel size (your kids would know the perfect width size for your site), etc. (by collection), which you could then upload onto your website under a cascade menu, or however your site manages pages?

Now you've lost me and three of the four are out the country at present. One is back at the weekend, so I'll pursue it on his return.

I'll try and put together an example of what I mean after the W/E.

In the meantime, some out of focus phone images of the ticket that goes with the OP penny! 

I know very little about tickets! I can only interpret/understand:

Edward I Id London WT 21.6gr S1383 NEF & Ex F.E.J 18.5 - 19.0mm

However, what's:

Seaby 22.12.83 (I assumed the 83 sale would be Glendinings)?

The red S (sold?????)

6TD WQ on tipex?

83 7565 H?

EOT?

P24485?

certainly a busy ticket!

pictures to follow (will sometimes allow me to upload 2 photos taken on my phone...another time it won't even let me add 1).

Edited by Coinery