British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Taikonaut

Ancient coin look clean

I like to ask why is ancient roman coins particularly silver ones many look clean? I mean surely they don't come out of the ground looking like that.

I visited the Garstang museum in Liverpool recently and they had a collection of Roman coins. What I notice is all the denarius had similar dark blue even tone all over regardless of age. I'm guessing that they were probably "cleaned" when first aquired but overtime they all gained a tone at the same rate because they were all under one collection and housed in the same environment for the last 100yrs?

Hoards can come out of the ground in any colour or condition. The often individual patination of a particular location is actually a very helpful means of identifying the original find spot for a coin with an unknown provenance.

13 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

I visited the Garstang museum in Liverpool recently and they had a collection of Roman coins. What I notice is all the denarius had similar dark blue even tone all over regardless of age. I'm guessing that they were probably "cleaned" when first aquired but overtime they all gained a tone at the same rate because they were all under one collection and housed in the same environment for the last 100yrs?

And what a splendid little museum it is!

55 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

I grew up in Liverpool. Lived there 40 years. Never visited Garstang Museum though.  Generally all museum coins are cleaned and preserved for display purposes. 

2 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I grew up in Liverpool. Lived there 40 years. Never visited Garstang Museum though.  Generally all museum coins are cleaned and preserved for display purposes. 

Me too, for 30 years. Now living near the Dee (via Cambridge).

• Like 1

I moved in 2013 up to East Lancashire. Got full custody of my kids and decided to move to hopefully better their futures. Still keep in touch with friends and family there but haven't ventured back. 

I was there last week for a walk around the old haunts with a friend who was over from Thailand. We hardly recognised the place as so much has changed these past few years. Liverpool One is quite impressive but I still can't believe that lovely George Henry Lee building is now a pound shop. 

• Like 1

So much has changed there. A lot of buildings where pulled down and new ones went up in the lead up to the capital of culture thing. The docklands area has had a lot of work done on it and attracted a lot of businesses to it mostly eateries and trendy bars but good for a quiet night out.

• Like 1

I know. Mostly for the better, though all the new 'themed' bars and souvenir tat shops in Mathew St. are a bit depressing, hardly the Mathew St. of our time which was the Eric's, Probe, Armadillo etc. of the late 1970s.

You're right, the dock is always worth a visit. We had a very pleasant time there with our wives one evening, including a good dinner at Gusto.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2017 at 11:02 AM, Michael-Roo said:

Did you see the Attica coin? I'm still on the fence if it is real or a very good Victorian copy. 

1 hour ago, Taikonaut said:

Did you see the Attica coin? I'm still on the fence if it is real or a very good Victorian copy. 

I haven't been in for a few years so don't know which coins they may have on display at present. My wife is an academic and used to be a senior lecturer in the Classics department at Liverpool. I would sometimes visit the museum with her.

2 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

I haven't been in for a few years so don't know which coins they may have on display at present. My wife is an academic and used to be a senior lecturer in the Classics department at Liverpool. I would sometimes visit the museum with her.

They opened a new museum on the ground floor 2 years ago. Mainly Roman coins about a few dozen overall. 

1 minute ago, Taikonaut said:

They opened a new museum on the ground floor 2 years ago. Mainly Roman coins about a few dozen overall. 

That sounds great. I wish it had been there when my wife worked in the department. UKStu, Peckris, and me are all originally from Liverpool. You too?

• Like 1

Afraid so. I work at the uni but live on the Wirral.

The curator Pat, she left about 6yrs ago and went into acting. You probably see her in "Woman in Black" with Daniel Radcliffe:)

Edited by Taikonaut

The Predecimal Liverpool diaspora society welcomes another esteemed member!

• Like 1

On 14 June 2017 at 9:19 PM, Michael-Roo said:

That sounds great. I wish it had been there when my wife worked in the department. UKStu, Peckris, and me are all originally from Liverpool. You too?

And DavidR too?