British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ElainaB

Copper Ten Pence 2013

Hi, im new to the forum and not a collector but have come across a copper ten pence coin.  Have googled and found reports of a silver 2p but not the other way round which I have.  Have magnet tested it and it is magnetic. ..is this of particular interest? Or not unusual? Any info gratefully received!

• Like 2

Hi and welcome, 

I am also new so I will probably not be too helpful but in 2012 Royal mint changed 5 and 10p coins to nickel-plated steel, so it should be magnetic anyway: http://blog.royalmint.com/why-are-some-uk-coins-magnetic/
I can't help you with regards to the colouring, it's not rust is it? - I am not sure if they even can myself. Do you have a picture of it so we can see it?

Hope this helps somewhat.

• Like 1

Guest ElainaB

Here's a couple of pictures.   Have given a little scratch on the edge of the coin and it is copper.  Is also dirty..should i clean it with something? vinegar maybe to be sure?

20170606_114604.jpg

20170606_114621.jpg

20170606_114801.jpg

Hey Elaina,

As it's magnetic it's unlikely to be Copper. I would say it's not of any particular interest and that something may have happened to the Nickel plating leaving the steel beneath to rust, but I wouldn't know for sure or how the plating would have come off.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 7:28 PM, ElainaB said:

Hi, im new to the forum and not a collector but have come across a copper ten pence coin.  Have googled and found reports of a silver 2p but not the other way round which I have.  Have magnet tested it and it is magnetic. ..is this of particular interest? Or not unusual? Any info gratefully received!

Hmmm.......interesting. You might want to consider contacting the Royal Mint for their observations on the issue. They could also test the coin in order to determine the precise breakdown of constituent metals. 

I'm somewhat sceptical though, because I'd normally expect such a 3 to 4 year old coin to be in generally better shape. For example, the vast majority of 1 & 2p coins dated 2013 in circulation, are still almost fully lustred.  

• Like 2

It should be in better condition i feel as you say Mike.

Edited by PWA 1967

Looks to me like it's been in a corrosive environment. A lot of detector found cupro nickel looks like this, even quite recent losses. The durability of modern coinage isn't a patch on the old.

Jerry

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jelida said:

Looks to me like it's been in a corrosive environment. A lot of detector found cupro nickel looks like this, even quite recent losses.

I was thinking the same in terms of corrosion.

Almost looks burnt, surface altered post-mint IMO.

IMO it's been through a washing machine and rescued after some time in the filter. Seen many like this.