British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sylvester

Oldest coin you received in change/spent?

Here's a question I like to ask every now and again on forums. It's been a long while since I last asked it on here.

The rules are more flexible than you might think:

1. You must have either received the coin in change or must have spent it, (Swaps/buying the coin not allowed).

2. It can be a coin you found in change whilst on holiday in another country.

3. It can be a foreign coin that someone slipped into circulation unoffically (eg. a US cent as a 1p coin).

4. It can be a predecimal coin that has been slipped into circulation unofficially (eg. a halfpenny as a 2p coin)

For me it would be a 1947 2/- piece back when they were circulating as everyday 10p coins. I have vague recollections of once spending a 1930s George VI 2/- but cannot confirm the date. The oldest coin I ever saw pulled out of a till in this country was a late 1920s to 1930s George V florin (this was in 1993 just before their ultimate demise), although since I neither spent it nor received it in change I can't claim it as my own.

Surely some of the posters on here who were around before decimalisation can easily beat that.

Edited by Sylvester

When I was a kid just before decimalization we would always check and compare our pennies to see who had the oldest we quite often had Victoria Veiled head ones but I can never recall seeing any Bun Head pennies. 

When I was a teenager (I can still vaguely remember this experience) I worked at a J Lyons teashop in Brighton, and occasionally relieved the cashier on the ground floor till. In those days a cup of tea was 6d, and one day a customer came along the counter with his tea and handed me a coin. I took one look and asked what it was, and was told a shilling. I'd never seen one like this before, but I took it anyway and gave him the change. I swapped the coin out for a shilling of mine and took the coin home, and some time later discovered that it was indeed a shilling of George IV dated 1826 and in GVF grade. Goodness knows why the customer had spent this coin, which was certainly worth a few pounds back then, but he did. How it came to be in such good grade I've no idea. Either way, It's still in my collection and although I could easily obtain a better grade example this one has special place because its the coin that started me off collecting. I've no intention of swapping it out.  

• Like 3

For me, I am quite certain they were 1947 florins and shillings. I remember putting aside George VI coins during my early teenage years . Never came across any "silver" coins in circulation. The George VI I got from circulation were always fine or below.

1933 halfpenny fell out of one of those 2p machines in Blackpool.... got a 1970 USA cent in Hawaii... was hoping for earlier :(

Now I guess your all going to think i'm a lying towrag , but during the 1960s I was given some change in a shop , some pennies, I think a trupenny bit and a shilling, I can't now even remember what I bought , but when I looked down at the shilling, I thought it was old, now at the time I was about 12 so lots of the coins to me were very old , as pre decimal coinage was still in use going right back to Queen Victoria.  Well the coin had a hole in it , and was indeed old as it was dated 1696 with a king I did not recognise . I guess it was used by mistake.  The shilling is still in my collection, though not readily to hand , as I collect pennies.   Terry

I first became interested in the late 1960s when 'checking your change' was all the rage and would often check my parents coins each evening then ask for any old ones I found as an advance on my pocket money. The earliest I came across (and still have somewhere) were 1860 bun pennies and halfpence. After 100+ years in circulation total washers, but unimaginably old and full of history in the eyes of a primary school kid.

When I was working as a cashier in a betting shop in 1990-91, occasionally one of the punters would pay for their bets with silver predecimal shillings and florins.  When these came into my till, I swapped them out with a 5p or 10p from my own pocket, with the permission of the shop manager.  During the year I was there, I received two shillings and three florins.  The shillings were dated 1935 and 1946, and both were not quite F.  The florins were dated 1922, 1929 and 1941.  The 1922 was poor, but the other two were pretty decent and are still in my collection today.  I sold the other 3 coins as scrap silver within the last 2 years.

Edited by Stuntman

I was born in the early 60's and loved the "old" coins.Parents friends and my family always gave me what they found.

My Godmother bought me a Smiths album on my 5th birthday and I soon filled this up.On holiday in the early 70's I got my 1st George 1 1/4d....I was hooked. I had all 4 of check your change booklets and still going in the hobby.

I always used to look at the change in the 60s and sort out the silver and half silver coins. The oldest I ever found was an 1849 godless florin which I still have. This was in the days when it was illegal to have more than 8 sovereigns without a B of E license to collect them.

About a fortnight ago I was given a 1967 halfpenny as a 2p in Morrisons. The earliest though was this 1923 shilling I picked out of my change about 60 years after it was minted:

1923 shilling.JPG

1860 penny (and many dated 1861-63) in the mid 1960's.  At this stage it was theoretically possible to get a shilling/sixpence as old as 1816 but I only saw one that was pre-1920 (an Edward VII 6d with unreadable date).  

I started collecting pennies as a schoolboy in the 60s. The elusive date was 1926. Finally got one in change from a bus conductor. I was a raw beginner, and it was nearly a year before I realised it was the ME variety. 

On 6/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, Michael-Roo said:

I first became interested in the late 1960s when 'checking your change' was all the rage and would often check my parents coins each evening then ask for any old ones I found as an advance on my pocket money. The earliest I came across (and still have somewhere) were 1860 bun pennies and halfpence. After 100+ years in circulation total washers, but unimaginably old and full of history in the eyes of a primary school kid.

I'd love to have been around in the 60's to experience the buzz of collecting coins not long off being demonetised.

My Dad always told me that during the late 50's and 60's period when he was growing up, there were quite a few bun pennies circulating, but very few bun halfpennies. He says he hardly ever saw any. Now how true or reliable that is, I've no idea, but he's a very observant & factual guy, so I've no particular reason to doubt his word. Although he has no interest in coins, whatever.    

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

I started collecting pennies as a schoolboy in the 60s. The elusive date was 1926. Finally got one in change from a bus conductor. I was a raw beginner, and it was nearly a year before I realised it was the ME variety. 

bit like when I bought my 1858 farthing, bought it because was a nice design and cheap, only to find out years later it was the small date one :D

• Like 1

You'll have to allow me some flexibility inasmuch as I'm across the pond.

In the mid 1960's I received an 1863 Civil War Token in change. Also, a different time, an 1864 Indian Head cent.

Late last year I received a SILVER Seated Liberty Dime (10 cent piece) in change. Too worn to determine year, but was the type issued before 1866.

Oldest coin ever received was a worn, bent coin from Hispaniola. Mexican or such from late 1600's. 1681 or thereabouts if memory serves me correctly. About the size of a dime  ( 10 cent piece), I got it in change in the late 1960's or in 1970. I was still in High School, so I know it had to be before June of 1970.

Only explanation I can think.of is that the Passer did not know what it was and just wanted to get rid of it so they did not get stuck with it.

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

11 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I'd love to have been around in the 60's to experience the buzz of collecting coins not long off being demonetised.

My Dad always told me that during the late 50's and 60's period when he was growing up, there were quite a few bun pennies circulating, but very few bun halfpennies. He says he hardly ever saw any. Now how true or reliable that is, I've no idea, but he's a very observant & factual guy, so I've no particular reason to doubt his word. Although he has no interest in coins, whatever.    

Your dad is quite right. I worked for J Lyons teashops in my school holidays and on occasions I was trusted to work the till at the end of the counter. Bun pennies, usually very worn (clear date) were easily found, as were widow head coins in around fine. I never once saw a Victorian halfpenny of any kind, and even Edward VII ones were rare and very worn. The best Victorian penny I ever found was a 1892 in GVF, which I still have. Otherwise, the only other notably decent coin was a 1866 one thirteenth of a shilling from Jersey in EF. The coin is absolutely jet black and has a commonwealth style bust, which is probably the reason it got spent - the owner I would guess thought he was fiddling me with a foreign coin by passing it on. Again, I still have it.

It is probably the fact that interesting coins could be found in change which set me on the path of collecting. I put together an album in the late 1960s/early 70s, and was inspired to pick up the interest again in the early 1990s, and the rest as they say is history.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Your dad is quite right. I worked for J Lyons teashops in my school holidays and on occasions I was trusted to work the till at the end of the counter. Bun pennies, usually very worn (clear date) were easily found, as were widow head coins in around fine. I never once saw a Victorian halfpenny of any kind, and even Edward VII ones were rare and very worn. The best Victorian penny I ever found was a 1892 in GVF, which I still have. Otherwise, the only other notably decent coin was a 1866 one thirteenth of a shilling from Jersey in EF. The coin is absolutely jet black and has a commonwealth style bust, which is probably the reason it got spent - the owner I would guess thought he was fiddling me with a foreign coin by passing it on. Again, I still have it.

It is probably the fact that interesting coins could be found in change which set me on the path of collecting. I put together an album in the late 1960s/early 70s, and was inspired to pick up the interest again in the early 1990s, and the rest as they say is history.

Bun pennies would quite often turn up in VG, usually dated between 1889 and 1892, or 1875. Pre-1925 halfpennies would often have reverses no better than Poor, or even flat, so bun halfpennies were probably mostly withdrawn. It did make my finding a 1909 halfpenny in GVF+ rather special though. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Bun pennies would quite often turn up in VG, usually dated between 1889 and 1892, or 1875. Pre-1925 halfpennies would often have reverses no better than Poor, or even flat, so bun halfpennies were probably mostly withdrawn. It did make my finding a 1909 halfpenny in GVF+ rather special though. :)

In the late 60s my Dad had a shop and he would let me go through the till to see if I could find anything of interest. I found a number of Bun pennies. mostly very worn with the only decent one dated 1892. The oldest was dated 1860 but only the exergue wasn't completely worn. There were plenty of Old Head pennies but very few halfpennies although I did find two with dates of 1895 and 1897. The only pre-1920 silver I found was a 1919 shilling. (I still have all those coins.)

Foreign coins would often crop up and I found a few oddities including examples from Singapore, NZ and the UAE. The oldest coins I found (and still have) are a 1906 US Indian Head Penny, an 1899 Argentinian 10 Centavos and an 1875 German 10 Pfennigs.

• Like 2

With all the above said, the oldest coin I ever received in my change was a 1942 florin, by that time masquerading as a 10p piece. In 1989 I think.  

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

With all the above said, the oldest coin I ever received in my change was a 1942 florin, by that time masquerading as a 10p piece. In 1989 I think.  

Wow, 1980s? Pretty impressive Mike. In 1968-71, when I was a kid, I would often see pre 1947, and sometimes pre 1920, silver in my parents' change but, weighing up face value against a pocket money advance i'd always let them go and stick to the coppers. Buns turned up often. Veiled head and Eddies, every day. 1912 H was common but I remember being chuffed (I was10 or 11 years old remember!) when I found a 1919 KN (GF) which I still have.  There's a 1949 threepenny bit I have too, no great shakes grade wise but very precious to me. I was ten years old, I, being the kid in my class with the most trustworthy face (LOL) was given charge of a small collection of money, for whatever reason I don't remember, and was responsible for taking to the post office to pay into the class account, just writing that makes me realise we're talking here about a time long gone. Anyway, on my walk to the PO I saw in the small collection of coins was included a 1949 3d. I ran home, swapped it for another 3d from my pocket money stash, then went on to the PO. No one ever knew (until today!). Honest as the day is long y'honour…….

• Like 3

OK Michael a nice profit of which i'm sure went to homeless kittens.;)

3 hours ago, Peter said:

OK Michael a nice profit of which i'm sure went to homeless kittens.;)

I've taken in enough homeless kittens in my time to more than make up for the lucky find I made as a 10yr old. :)

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, DaveG38 said:

I never once saw a Victorian halfpenny of any kind, and even Edward VII ones were rare and very worn.

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, Peckris said:

Pre-1925 halfpennies would often have reverses no better than Poor, or even flat, so bun halfpennies were probably mostly withdrawn. It did make my finding a 1909 halfpenny in GVF+ rather special thoughI

I think that one reason for the poor condition of halfpennies in circulation during the 1960's might be the popularity during the nineteenth and first-half of the twentieth centuries of the pub game ‘shove ha’penny’ and as-a-result many halfpennies became very worn both out of being used on the boards and from being polished by the players. The favoured side to slide on the board would be the smoothest, so once a particular halfpenny started to get smooth on one side it would continue to be used on that side – hence the cause of so many coins being worn completely flat on just one side. In addition, in some parts of the country instead of wood, ‘boards’ could be of stone or slate which would have increased the wear on the coins.

However, getting to the subject of this thread, I’m going to cheat a wee bit and say the oldest coin I ever received in change was a seventeenth century hammered brass token – about the size of a sixpence but a lot thinner. I’ll explain…

When I was a young teenager in the Cotswolds during the early sixties, I had a paper-round in my home village of Bourton-on-the-Water. One Friday (it was money-collection day) one of the customers (a very old, local lady) was short of a sixpence to pay me so she asked me if I would accept the token instead since it was the same size as a sixpence - this was old-lady and Cotswold-logic combined! By that time, I was already a keen numismatist and this wonderful brass token was like treasure to me so this was a very good deal because Friday was also my payday, when I would receive my weekly ten shillings.

The token as far as I remember was dated in the 1660’s and was in the name ‘CHAS LVMLEY’ on the other side it had ‘BVRTON’ ON WATER – i.e. Bourton. Unfortunately, a couple of years later I had my wallet stolen which contained the token, but while it lasted it was a wonderful possession!

Going back to the paper-round – it was 1962-63, and counting the money on a Friday evening always gave me the opportunity to sort through the cash and then get paid in selected coins I had picked out – lots of bun and old-head pennies as well as George V ‘H’ and ‘KN’ pennies – they were frequent finds. Of course, the best value in the process was the pre-1920 silver although by that time it was predominantly Geo V – it was seldom that I found any silver from Edward or Victoria although it did happen on a few occasions – the best was an 1899 old head shilling but never anything from William IV or Geo IV.

However, discounting my 1660’s token, the oldest coin I ever received in change was a Geo III ‘bull head’ shilling – 1820 – which I still have, as well as my old-head shilling. I often ponder that at that time and earlier, coins were much more likely to remain in the same local areas – particularly rural areas, because of the lower frequency of travel. Obviously since, throughout the second half of the twentieth century, that has entirely changed as our communities have opened up and transport has made our small country tiny.

Such was the excitement then in the latter days of pre-decimal, because copper and silver in circulation had been the same size since 1860 and 1816 respectively, so there was always a fair chance of finding something really interesting. In my opinion, no comparable excitement exists today.

Hope you found this interesting.

Edited by hibernianscribe

Wow, an 1820 shilling received in change!  That must have been very exciting to someone with an interest in coins.   The coin clearly found an appropriate custodian.