British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declan03

1902 Edward VII halfcrown. Proof?

Hi guys.

Can any of you tell me if this 1902 Edward VII Halfcrown is a proof coin or not? One side is shinier than the other What sort of grade would you say it was?

Thank you. 

20170605_131836~2.jpg

Sorry here is the obverse.

20170605_131828~2.jpg

Edited by declan03
mistake
  • Like 2

I have no Idea. I am sure one of the experts will come along soon. Looks to me as a very nice coin:wub::D

• Like 1

Yes it is a matt proof.  Obverse looks lightly polished.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

The reverse is stunning, the detail in the lions faces and I could almost reach out and touch the harps breasts, UNC maybe even proof, but as Nick says the obverse looks like it's been polished.

• Like 1

What does reveal that it is a matt proof? Apart from the crispness, and the matt surface.

Other examples I've seen on this forum sport a nice streaky toning, like a very fine buff on the fields

Edited by Leo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leo said:

What does reveal that it is a matt proof? Apart from the crispness, and the matt surface.

Other examples I've seen on this forum sport a nice streaky toning, like a very fine buff on the fields

Other than the qualities you mentioned, the uniformity and flatness of the rim is usually indicative.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sleepy said:

The reverse is stunning, the detail in the lions faces and I could almost reach out and touch the harps breasts, UNC maybe even proof, but as Nick says the obverse looks like it's been polished.

It won't be described as proof if its been polished (which it has been) now called impaired and UNC or less all due to the polishing, i'm guessing the person who had it didn't realise it was supposed to be matte :D

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

I purchased it for £85, so still a good buy?

That is the reason it was cheap perhaps ?.

If a novice like me can tell its cleaned i would send it back regardless of price.

You will pay more for one thats right but if it were mine would annoy me looking at it.

To sell it someone in the future telling them its cleaned will surely put other buyers off also.

Anyway its your coin and if your happy thats all that really matters :)

• Like 2

What it's odd is that they only cleaned the obverse.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

That is the reason it was cheap perhaps ?.

If a novice like me can tell its cleaned i would send it back regardless of price.

You will pay more for one thats right but if it were mine would annoy me looking at it.

To sell it someone in the future telling them its cleaned will surely put other buyers off also.

Anyway its your coin and if your happy thats all that really matters :)

Very good advice! I too would return the coin if the option is available. But it's no big deal if you can't. A decent example would cost about twice the price you have paid and so £85 sounds OK. The obverse is less than UNC IMO after the coin has been cleaned like that. 

1 hour ago, Leo said:

What it's odd is that they only cleaned the obverse.

The person probably realised he has damaged the coin after cleaning one side and so refrained from cleaning the other?

• Like 1

Do you think its worth cleaning the other side?

4 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Do you think its worth cleaning the other side?

Sorry Declan but i have to laugh at that one :D

Have you only just bought it or had it a while ?

• Like 1

Guest Corbyn

I scraped my new car driving out of the block. One side looks crappy and the side is smack. Would I scape some paint off the smack side too?

Whether the coin has been cleaned on the obverse can only be guaranteed on manual inspection. So please don’t do anything drastic.

• Like 1

Yes, i just purchased it last week. I seen from the pictures that one side was shiny when i bought it. I may just sell it on. I think i will maybe get more than the purchase price. I will sell it as is and not have you guys cringing at the thought of me polishing the other side. On the other hand....is there anything i can use to dull the shiny side down?

On 06.06.2017 at 0:06 PM, declan03 said:

I purchased it for £85, so still a good buy?

I think the price was cheaper than analogues due to the unprofessional cleaning of one side. I do not recommend you to clean the other one. It look quite nice in this condition.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Yes, i just purchased it last week. I seen from the pictures that one side was shiny when i bought it. I may just sell it on. I think i will maybe get more than the purchase price. I will sell it as is and not have you guys cringing at the thought of me polishing the other side. On the other hand....is there anything i can use to dull the shiny side down?

You could leave it on a sunny window sill shiney side up that might naturally tone it, but nothing will bring the matte finish back and the crispness of the original engraving on the obverse.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, declan03 said:

I wouldn't bother trying to tone the obverse side if I am going to sell it. Toning takes too long and the two sides of the coins will always look (very) different.

I brought a coin described as 1902 crown AU from W&W when I first started collecting. It turned out to be a cleaned matt proof. It has been toning for six years on my sunny window sill and this is what it currently looks like. 

1.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Heres another with a shiny side. Quite strange to have two with a shiny side.

1902 EDWARD VII HALFCROWN.txt

I think that one looks ok.  It's just the lighting that makes the obverse look brighter than the reverse.

At first glance I would say from the reverse that it IS a matt proof - it has superb overall detailing. Harder to tell from the obverse, as it seems to have been cleaned, which is a real shame. I think it IS the proof though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

At first glance I would say from the reverse that it IS a matt proof - it has superb overall detailing. Harder to tell from the obverse, as it seems to have been cleaned, which is a real shame. I think it IS the proof though.

I agree, and no discernible Mint wipe! Here's mine

1902_hc_pf_03_01_2400.jpg

• Like 2

Thats a nice coin Paulus!! The shiny side on my coin was a bit of a put off after reading the comments, so i,ve sold it for £125, which is still reasonable considering the quality of the coin. I will wait until another comes along that has not been polished.Some people!! Polishing a matt proof coin uugghhh!!

Thank you all once again for your valued help.

• Like 1