British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all!

My name is Duncan and I have recently started getting a bit more serious about coin collecting. The last few years I have been passively picking up commemorative £2 coins in change and holding on to them (although I have some that aren't £2), after slowly growing I looked at them recently and have started getting a little more serious. I have just finished getting the 6 pre-1997 £2 coins and now I look to expand out the rest of the set. Eventually I will probably work my way down into pre-decimal coins, but I imagine way off in the future. 

Hoping to learn a lot here about, getting myself a few books on coins suggested by this site so I can build some base knowledge and start to climb the learning curve.

Thanks for reading, hope to get to know you all soon.

All the best,

Duncan

• Like 2

Hi Duncan welcome to the forum. I am fairly new on here myself and found that everyone is very helpful. 

• Like 2

Hi Duncan,

Welcome to the forum. Happy collecting.

Ian

• Like 1

Welcome Duncan, I like trying to find the commemorative £2 coins as well, ideally in change but I occasionally go to the bank and cash out a few bags of the £2 coins to sort through.  Am still looking for 3 of the 4 Commonwealth Games coins, mind!

In my opinion there are lots of really interesting predecimal coins, with some beautiful designs and lots of historical fascination regarding the monarchs and the metals used.  Perhaps start by just collecting a little bit of what you fancy to start with, which might be influenced by the size of the coin (if you like £2 coins you might like the bigger predecimal denominatlons?) or the metal (coins are usually either copper, bronze or silver) or maybe all the different head designs for a particular monarch, such as Victoria?

Enjoy and have fun.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Duncan.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the welcoming everyone :D

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

In my opinion there are lots of really interesting predecimal coins, with some beautiful designs and lots of historical fascination regarding the monarchs and the metals used.  Perhaps start by just collecting a little bit of what you fancy to start with, which might be influenced by the size of the coin (if you like £2 coins you might like the bigger predecimal denominatlons?) or the metal (coins are usually either copper, bronze or silver) or maybe all the different head designs for a particular monarch, such as Victoria?

Doing a little here and there Stuntman, I got a 1901 Penny the other day so little by little for me. Will probably be a little more decisive once I read more. With regards to the commonwealth coins I only have one myself too, luckily the Ireland one (I think), but if you look on the left it is the coin I mentioned with verdigris <_<

WP_20170603_003comp.jpeg

WP_20170603_001comp.jpeg

Yep, looks like the Northern Ireland one to me as well :)

Gallingly, I have two England ones!  

I got back into the hobby a few years ago when the Olympic 50ps came out, which then prompted me to look at some other decimal coins and from there I rekindled my interest in the predecimal stuff.  This place is full of knowledgeable people - I lurked for about 6 months before joining in.

Get along to one of the coin fairs if you can, the breadth and quality of stuff there is impressive and there's something to suit all pockets.  At least being in London you also have some actual coin shops to visit as well.

• Like 1

Ah nice, do you have many of the 50ps then? I was thinking of attending the London Coin Fair in November, I was worried it would be all coins over £150 or so, is it a fair mix of coin price ranges then? Either way I wouldn't mind going just to have a look :) I haven't really lurked, feel like I should have haha

Whatever it is Duncan can only be recent.

just put a tiny bit of vaseline on a cotton bud and should come off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phaseolus said:

Ah nice, do you have many of the 50ps then? I was thinking of attending the London Coin Fair in November, I was worried it would be all coins over £150 or so, is it a fair mix of coin price ranges then? Either way I wouldn't mind going just to have a look :) I haven't really lurked, feel like I should have haha

Pity you didnt post a day earlier its London coin fair today :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Whatever it is Duncan can only be recent.

just put a tiny bit of vaseline on a cotton bud and should come off.

To get rid of the verdigris? Thanks for the tip!! I will try it :)

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Pity you didnt post a day earlier its London coin fair today :)

I saw earlier this week, but thought I would be a little overwhelmed as it's just the end of my first week actively collecting haha