British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

JP Droz pattern Sixpences (1790 & 1791)

As a sixpence collector, I quite often see pattern pieces listed in auctions, and wanted to ask peoples opinion on them forming part of a collection. The most common pattern sixpences I see popping up are examples by JP Droz (1790). Baldwins always seem to have a couple for sale and they appear fairly regularly in auctions. I'd like to have one in my collection, but wanted to know their significance. I wonder if anybody could shed some light on Droz and his 1790 & 1791 pattern sixpences? When he produced these patterns were there a set number minted? If so, how many? (they are normally just listed as scarce). Also, could anybody recommend a book/literature listing patterns and their rarity?

2 hours ago, Descartes said:

As a sixpence collector, I quite often see pattern pieces listed in auctions, and wanted to ask peoples opinion on them forming part of a collection. The most common pattern sixpences I see popping up are examples by JP Droz (1790). Baldwins always seem to have a couple for sale and they appear fairly regularly in auctions. I'd like to have one in my collection, but wanted to know their significance. I wonder if anybody could shed some light on Droz and his 1790 & 1791 pattern sixpences? When he produced these patterns were there a set number minted? If so, how many? (they are normally just listed as scarce). Also, could anybody recommend a book/literature listing patterns and their rarity?

Peck, Freeman, ESC, Davies, Coincraft, Linecar & Stone, Wilson & Rasmussen.........

There are a number of patterns around this period both by Droz and Pingo. I have the 1787 Pingo and the 1788 and 1790 Droz patterns. ESC gives a pretty comprehensive listing of the patterns.

I think the main significance of the patterns is the use of the new steam presses to produce them. In terms of their appearance (size and weight) , they are very much a continuation of other 18th century sixpences and they have very little in common with the new generation of sixpences which appeared in 1816. 

3 hours ago, jaggy said:

There are a number of patterns around this period both by Droz and Pingo. I have the 1787 Pingo and the 1788 and 1790 Droz patterns. ESC gives a pretty comprehensive listing of the patterns.

I think the main significance of the patterns is the use of the new steam presses to produce them. In terms of their appearance (size and weight) , they are very much a continuation of other 18th century sixpences and they have very little in common with the new generation of sixpences which appeared in 1816. 

Thanks for the info Jaggy, it's appreciated. I really need to upgrade my sparse numismatic library and get a copy of ESC, and as Rob has recommended the Peck and Freeman.

By the way... I'm very envious that you have the Pingo pattern. I've seen some pics of this sixpence (it's similar to the George III 1878 if I remember correctly but with a beaded outer border). A really lovely coin.

Edited by Descartes