British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declan03

Is this a replica too?

Hi.

Is this a replica or has it been cleaned with an abrasive? 

Thank you. 

20170530_100422~2.jpg

Sorry i can only upload 500 at a time. Here is the other side of the coin. 

20170530_100430~2.jpg

Can't tell from the pictures. Are they physical gouges or just toning streaks?

Just what appear to be scrapes going in the one direction Rob. I am wary of selling it just in case it's a fake. Although its not much to look at.

It is unlikely to be a fake - there's no real value in it.

Size & weight?

It is app 31mm x 12.83g.

Looks like it has had a rough life.

• Like 1

Looks the real deal to me. And those lines don't look to be scrapes from photos, but rather toning streaks. Don't think many of us would shoot you for a dip. Have to check the weight bit...

Addendum: weight is correct as well.

Edited by VickySilver
  • Like 1

The size and weight are correct for the official Royal Mint issue, but I'd certainly dip it.

It looks like original one. If you need 100% confirmation, please ask your local expert.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 1:27 PM, bhx7 said:

Looks like it has had a rough life.

Like myself!!

• Like 1

This medal reminds me of the RM treatment of the 1902 matte proofs - a good wipe or two to shine it up! LOL. Well, other than a few contact marks that is a solid GEF piece there. One possibility is to dip it and then retone on window sill or in brown paper napkin with sun exposure that will lightly sulfur tone it to a golden brown and then maybe a bit of colour which you can monitor by checking periodically.

• Like 1

What do you dip the coins in that does not do much damage? 

Acetone first. Then 1/2 strength ammonia with quick soap and water surface treatment to follow and then quick rinse with tamp dry. Always tamp dry with a high nap white cotton towel. NO RUBBING! It might take a quick dip in actual EZ-est or some other similar dip with the same light soap and water, and then more water rinse with tamping.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Acetone first. Then 1/2 strength ammonia with quick soap and water surface treatment to follow and then quick rinse with tamp dry. Always tamp dry with a high nap white cotton towel. NO RUBBING! It might take a quick dip in actual EZ-est or some other similar dip with the same light soap and water, and then more water rinse with tamping.

Errrr.....i might just leave it as is Vicky. By the time i buy that lot i will be out of pocket.I don,t think the coin is worth very much. But thanks very much for your advice.

I wasn't paying attention to what VickySilver said. This medal was struck in matt proof, the first year AFAIK that the treatment was used for a coronation. A bottle of Goddards Silver Dip should sort you out. A few seconds immersion then rinse with water, tamp dry. Repeat as necessary.

• Like 1

On 02.06.2017 at 4:37 PM, declan03 said:

Like myself!!

:D

• Like 1