British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
declan03

To clean or not to clean?

Hi.

I have this very dark toned  1905 Edward VII sixpence. I have been reading on the forum about people cleaning these coins with silver dips. I was under the impression that cleaning coins was a big NO. What do you guys think...leave it or give it a dip? If so what is the best silver dip to purchase? 

Thank you.

20170504_141907~2(1).jpg

Sorry here is the reverse. 

20170504_142008~2(1).jpg

Why do you feel the need to clean it? Silver left over time will eventually go black. That is perfectly normal. Coins don't need to be a uniform colour, though I appreciate some people would argue that uniformity is more pleasing to the eye.

If it is just dirt, then soapy water and a soft hair brush will lift it off. The coin has obviously circulated.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

It sticks out like a black sheep in my collection Rob. I,ve seen some coins posted on the forum that have been dipped and they seem to come up great. Just looking for your valued opinions. I will try giving the coin a wash as you mentioned. 

I would always take a genuinely toned coin over a lustered shiny one. It gives character and a life rather that a flat perfect disc.

I would leave it alone, it looks lovely:D

• Like 3

Thanks. I will leave it as is. If circulated as Rob says, what kind of grade will it be? I can only see a couple of very small scratches, one in the beard and one on the head. Rims are still quite high.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

gVF a fair guess IMO. Decent detail but see things like the orb atop the crown on reverse and the top of ear on obverse  It looks like a bit of cameo wear (only slight) as  the surfaces of central lettering on reverse looks to have mild wear just as does the hair & mustache and beard details on obverse. Almost as though it had been put in a bowl with other coins for a short while AFTER the main black toning had taken place.

On Friday, June 02, 2017 at 4:43 AM, VickySilver said:

gVF a fair guess IMO. Decent detail but see things like the orb atop the crown on reverse and the top of ear on obverse  It looks like a bit of cameo wear (only slight) as  the surfaces of central lettering on reverse looks to have mild wear just as does the hair & mustache and beard details on obverse. Almost as though it had been put in a bowl with other coins for a short while AFTER the main black toning had taken place.

Thank you for this information. Much appreciated.

I recommend you not to clean this coin by yourself. In case you want to clean it in the future, please ask your local expert to do this (to avoid all mechanical errors).

3 minutes ago, Oswald said:

I recommend you not to clean this coin by yourself. In case you want to clean it in the future, please ask your local expert to do this (to avoid all mechanical errors).

All sounds very technical Oswald what is a mechanical error that can be caused ?.