British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I bought this from a friend a while back, who is a collector, but not of pennies.  I guess its about GF which for this rare type seems to be exceptional . In all the years I've been collecting the only better one I've seen is Garys  [Bronze & Copper on here].  its strange that this type seems prone to wearing badly in the centre of the Kings head.

1908  f164a  obv.JPG

• Like 1

Nice coin Terry :)

The top of the ear on the obverse is the highest part not protected by the rim and will always show wear first IMO.

Yes indeed, nice coin. I must admit, I'd grade at GF/VF - the reverse looks better than GF.

One listed on ebay ,i know from looking myself not the easiest to find problem free :)

On 31 May 2017 at 11:31 PM, 1949threepence said:

Yes indeed, nice coin. I must admit, I'd grade at GF/VF - the reverse looks better than GF.

Not so sure myself. The shield is reassuringly complete, but all other details - e.g. fingers, face, helmet, drapery - aren't strong enough to be VF IMO.

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

Not so sure myself. The shield is reassuringly complete, but all other details - e.g. fingers, face, helmet, drapery - aren't strong enough to be VF IMO.

Always open to different interpretation, and assessments partly subjective. The reason I went for VF for the reverse is the strength of the ONE PENNY lettering and the trident, which show no flattening, the intact shield (as you say), the folds of the dress all still visible. Also the border teeth are all still very prominent.

Looking at the descriptions in Derek's grading book - which I've just unearthed - at pages 116 to 117 - the reverse is pretty much matching the VF photo. For me anyway.     

Nearer fine than very fine for me.