British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rick2020

1859 3 pence overstrike on the first I in Victoria? What is it?

I have a 1859 three pence in which the I in Victoria seems to be overstruck over something smaller. 

After searching and not finding anything, I have the usual questions if anyone can assist.

What is it, has it been seen before, does it affect its value and what would that be.......

Thanking all in advance

Rick

COIN_IMG_2017_03_14_1489529033690.jpg

• Like 1

"I" over "I". This is how they appear. There are many more lettering variants on earlier Victorian small silver inc. 3ds and Maundy sets...

I over I from me too

Agreed, the underlying letter is often smaller/thinner due to the movement of metal as the recut of the new letter occurs, or potentially it could just be part of the process of being recut, and a single misplaced blow.

Thanks very much for your replies. 

The second I in Victoria also looks funny. Would you say this is also an overstrike result? 

Is there a website where one can find a listing/pictures for comparison and identification?

Lastly, what does this do to the value of the coin? What would be the value?

Regards

Rick

Can't answer the first bits, as to the value that would be IMO  no added & perhaps a tenner or so. You'd need a better level of preservation and even a mint specimen would not be much if any added value to the 100-150 in that better grade.