British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Shammers

Real Or Fake?

Being doing some research on the collection of coins i have I have two £1 coins from the year 1998-1999

I was reading these two coins only came out in sets from the Royal Mint.

So looking through my collection i have both, probably bought of Ebay from years past.

Now I'm generally thinking both will be fakes but not that i know for certain.

How do you spot a fake £1?

I will add Pics of both coins tell me your thoughts real or fake?

I won't be parting with any either way just would like to know if any eager eyed coin buffs can help me out.   

Pic One.

Pic Two.

Pic Three.

Pic Four.

Edited by Shammers

Well that's good to know. what exactly do you look for in a fake £1?

Heard so many different things to look out for.

I heard the finer detail on the queens crown in the fake one is shoddy also the dots around the side on a fake one they run into each other and with the real one the queens crown is of greater detail and the dots are all singular around the rim would i be correct in going off that in pinpointing a real one from a fake? 

Or do other people do it different?

I'd love to know.

1 hour ago, Shammers said:

What exactly do you look for in a fake £1?

The edge lettering's usually a dead giveaway as it rarely has the quality of a genuine one. Yours look fine to me.

Theres a link on here to a fantastic website with everything you need to know about Fake £1 coins :)

The thread is called The Fake pound coin database ,just had a quick look and probably what your after.

Edited by PWA 1967