British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all

I would like some help please in identifying the top coin. I can't find anything that looks like it in my coin book.

The other coins, I would some help with worth and what grade you think they would come under.

These were sorted into a folder by my Grandpa. There are many more just in the little plastic folders.

I love the Florins, so pretty ?

Many thanks, Sarah

20170517_114807_crop_363x358.jpg

20170517_114754_crop_460x460.jpg

20170517_114528-576x1024.jpg

20170517_114557-576x1024.jpg

You think correctly, middle one about VF the other 2 fine/fair.

• Like 1

If it weighs 7.98 grams and 22mm dia then it's a sovereign, if it's 3.99 grams and 19.5mm dia then it's a half sov'.

• Like 1

The top one is in such poor condition, very hard I think I can just about make out a seated Britannia, I think, so it will most likely be a copper or tin penny/halfpenny or farthing. The obverse appears to be facing right so that would be James II, William III, George I or George III. But it is so poor condition it might not be any of that or anything, sorry.

A nice interesting cross section there.

The George V Halfcrown (1916?) looks as if it's EF or better.  The Victoria Old Head Halfcrown looks as if it's at least VF, probably better.

The 1887 Double Florin looks around GF or NVF but appears to have been cleaned.

The Victoria Gothic Florin is around F I would say, with the reverse better.  

The other two Victoria Halfcrowns (Young Head and Jubilee Head) are Fair.

What are the dates of these coins?  The Gothic Florin would cost about £25 or so to buy if it's a common year, but loads more  if it's 1854, 1862 or 1863 :)

The George V halfcrown would cost about £35 minimum to buy, depending on year.  The Victoria Old Head halfcrown probably about the same or a bit more.

This is a useful guide when it comes to values:

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/index.html

The top coin appears to be a Roman coin, although without seeing more detail it would be very difficult to ID unless you find someone familiar with this area of collecting. The text on the Reverse doesn't ring any bells regarding any of the mints, so it may be a copy...but hopefully someone will assist.

Edited by Colin G.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin G. said:

The top coin appears to be a Roman coin, although without seeing more detail it would be very difficult to ID unless you find someone familiar with this area of collecting. The text on the Reverse doesn't ring any bells regarding any of the mints, so it may be a copy...but hopefully someone will assist.

I was thinking that also. It has a similar look of a Hadrian Britannia issue coin. There quite rare though. Also i think they where struck only in bronze. As colin says it could be reproduction. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Stuntman said:

A nice interesting cross section there.

The George V Halfcrown (1916?) looks as if it's EF or better.  The Victoria Old Head Halfcrown looks as if it's at least VF, probably better.

The 1887 Double Florin looks around GF or NVF but appears to have been cleaned.

The Victoria Gothic Florin is around F I would say, with the reverse better.  

The other two Victoria Halfcrowns (Young Head and Jubilee Head) are Fair.

What are the dates of these coins?  The Gothic Florin would cost about £25 or so to buy if it's a common year, but loads more  if it's 1854, 1862 or 1863 :)

The George V halfcrown would cost about £35 minimum to buy, depending on year.  The Victoria Old Head halfcrown probably about the same or a bit more.

This is a useful guide when it comes to values:

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/index.html

They are 1918, 1895, 1873, 1891 & 1881.

Where would be the best place to sell them? I am going to keep some & hopefully sell some.

I have a big bag of half crowns with dates from the 1940's to 1960's. Will they be worth anything?

Thanks for your help :)

6 hours ago, Colin G. said:

Thanks, I've had a look through the paperwork my Grandpa had with the coins & nothing about that one. Some coin brochures from the 70's though :)

Your most recent photos are of either an Irish halfpenny or farthing (you don't say what size it is). I see the date begins '18' so it would be 1805 or 1822 if a halfpenny, or 1806 if a farthing.

13 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Your most recent photos are of either an Irish halfpenny or farthing (you don't say what size it is). I see the date begins '18' so it would be 1805 or 1822 if a halfpenny, or 1806 if a farthing.

Thanks, it measures 2.8cm

If I didn't need the cash and liked the coins, I'd keep the 1918 and 1895 halfcrowns because they are in nice condition (especially the 1918), plus your middle crown (1890?) and maybe the 1873 gothic florin.  But of course, these are the coins that would realise the most cash.  The other crowns might perhaps sell for about £20, and the halfcrowns not much more than their bullion value.  You may well do best selling them on eBay versus to a coin dealer or jeweller for the bullion if you're near London or Birmingham.  Whereabouts are you based?

And definitely keep the sovereign, but if you want to turn it into cash, your best bet is probably a jeweller in Hatton Garden or Birmingham's jewellery quarter.  You'll currently get about £220 for it.

If you want to sell the Sovereign use the sovereign group on facebook. You will get more than from the gold brokers, lower grade sovs sell for £230 up on there at the moment.

As Michael says your coin with the harp is probably an Irish half penny, but its pretty smashed and probably worthless. Your gold sovereign looks in really good condition and coins like that sell on ebay for £250 plus although if your a new seller the buyers will be wary of purchasing it.

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

As Michael says your coin with the harp is probably an Irish half penny, but its pretty smashed and probably worthless. Your gold sovereign looks in really good condition and coins like that sell on ebay for £250 plus although if your a new seller the buyers will be wary of purchasing it.

Is it better to send to say, Hatton Garden Metals? After paypal fees and ebay they take a lot. I have over 500 feedback on ebay. 

£10-15. It is a common date and not particularly good condition.

• Like 1

Guest 10102

AVF - £15

GF for me, I don't think it's quite NVF.  £10-£15 as Rob says.

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 2:37 PM, LadyGlitterSparkles said:

Is it better to send to say, Hatton Garden Metals? After paypal fees and ebay they take a lot. I have over 500 feedback on ebay. 

Wait until ebay have a max £1 selling fee?