British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, IanB said:

I have put a couple of bids in, my first attempt at an auction. So what happens next?

How long afterwards do I learn if I have been lucky?

Can I follow the action in some way, or do I just wait until I am contacted?

I've been successful on maybe 40% to 45% of the LCA bids I've made over the years. 

Made bids on two items this time. I'll be quite happy if I get one. 

I have bids in on three items. There is one I want more than the other two so if I get that then I will be happy.

I think the DNW auction on the 14th-16th June is a better auction this time for us sixpence collectors. There are still some nice coins up for grabs though ...

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I have put a couple of bids in, my first attempt at an auction. So what happens next?

How long afterwards do I learn if I have been lucky?

Can I follow the action in some way, or do I just wait until I am contacted?

The first useful information will probably be the posting of the prices realised, probably on Monday or Tuesday. This will give you a clue as to whether you were successful or not, but not necessarily as auctions often let a floor bidder take a lot with a bid that matches a commission bid. If successful, you will receive an invoice later in the week.

33 minutes ago, Descartes said:

I think the DNW auction on the 14th-16th June is a better auction this time for us sixpence collectors. There are still some nice coins up for grabs though ...

I'm going to leave you a free run - free from me at least - on the DNW sixpences. There is nothing there that is a must buy for me and I need to husband my funds for one of the upcoming Heritage auctions.

As the DNW sixpence offerings go, 

The 1821 looks nice but I bought one at the last DNW sale. The 1831 also looks nice.

The 1675/4 is a nice coin. A bit nicer than my own but not 500 pounds nicer. The other Charles II sixpences are good but not great.

The George II, 1750 also looks nice. I shall be watching what it goes for as I have a similar one. 

I also like the 1829 but the 1852, 1853 and 1856 look like they have some contact marks, the 1855 has a die clash and a scratch on the reverse and I don't like the look of the 1885.

If there is one sixpence I would bid on then it is probably the Commonwealth 1649. Lovely coin.

• Like 2

The 1829 has a mark in front of the face.

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

The 1829 has a mark in front of the face.

Yes, a small scratch but nothing major in my opinion. It is certainly as nice as my own example.

I shall be interested to see what it fetches as I got mine from Glendinnings in 1990. 

Edited by jaggy

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

The first useful information will probably be the posting of the prices realised, probably on Monday or Tuesday. This will give you a clue as to whether you were successful or not, but not necessarily as auctions often let a floor bidder take a lot with a bid that matches a commission bid. If successful, you will receive an invoice later in the week.

Hi Richard - you've got me as the quoted poster, in your post. But it was actually Ian B :) 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Hi Richard - you've got me as the quoted poster, in your post. But it was actually Ian B :) 

Yes, it's a "feature" of the forum - although I highlighted a piece of Ian's posting, because it was within your reply, it attributed the quote to you. 

5 hours ago, jaggy said:

I'm going to leave you a free run - free from me at least - on the DNW sixpences. There is nothing there that is a must buy for me and I need to husband my funds for one of the upcoming Heritage auctions.

As the DNW sixpence offerings go, 

The 1821 looks nice but I bought one at the last DNW sale. The 1831 also looks nice.

The 1675/4 is a nice coin. A bit nicer than my own but not 500 pounds nicer. The other Charles II sixpences are good but not great.

The George II, 1750 also looks nice. I shall be watching what it goes for as I have a similar one. 

I also like the 1829 but the 1852, 1853 and 1856 look like they have some contact marks, the 1855 has a die clash and a scratch on the reverse and I don't like the look of the 1885.

If there is one sixpence I would bid on then it is probably the Commonwealth 1649. Lovely coin.

I have a reasonable 1649 In my collection (well kind of.. it's dated 1651, but with a 1649 observe, so an old reused die). Yes, the up and coming DNW auction example is superb. I have my eye on the Philip and Mary sixpence, 1555, with the beaded inner circle :) ... I'm going to have a shot at it anyway.

20 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I've been successful on maybe 40% to 45% of the LCA bids I've made over the years. 

Made bids on two items this time. I'll be quite happy if I get one. 

Good luck Mike you will have to let us know if you got any :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Good luck Mike you will have to let us know if you got any :)

Cheers Pete - will do. 

They're normally very quick, so I would expect monday, tuesday the latest. Which is impressive considering that they process bids and everything manually.

I've put bids in for 4 lots, but a tad stingy... my hopes are low but I can't wait to see the results!

I won seven bronze penny lots , pretty much those I wanted, the expensive ones at low to mid estimate but the cheaper ones mostly above estimate. Very content overall, will post details in due course. Apologies if I outbid any forum member.

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

I won seven bronze penny lots , pretty much those I wanted, the expensive ones at low to mid estimate but the cheaper ones mostly above estimate. Very content overall, will post details in due course. Apologies if I outbid any forum member.

Jerry

Well done Jerry! I didn't bid on any penny lots so very happy for you. :D

7 hours ago, jelida said:

Jerry

Sounds a good day Jerry :)

looks like the results are on their website

Outbid on both my lots:(

Bid on two lots and got one of them. First time i have bid with them so pleased with the results:D

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Looks like I got two out of three of the coins I bid on, both close to the high estimate.

45 minutes ago, IanB said:

Outbid on both my lots:(

Sorry to hear that, I hope they weren't ones I got. Those I won were 2860, the 1861 Gouby G, which I thought cheap at hammer of £260; 2863, the F38 which again I was happy with at £950, it is already toning nicely and will improve further from its past clean, and is a good grade, better than the CC one last year for a similar price. I threw the boat out rather on the 1898 lot 2903 and the F176, which filled a gap. Both I have been after for a while in reasonable grade (the 1898 is not as good as the Rasmussen one last year which he wanted well over a grand for, though I suspect it eventually went for considerably less). Lot 2931 gave me a reasonable F111 2 over 1, and I can sell the F114 on. The 1903 open 3 was a cheap gap-filler. And I got 2981, the F41 as a reasonable upgrade that will be hard to better. The latter is claimed in the catalogue to be ex Freeman. Is there any-one out there that can confirm this? I personally am doubtful, at least I do not think it is the one in the Freeman sale catalogue though the photo isn't great.

So a mixed batch, scarcity rather than quality and not cheap, but they will probably remain in my collection and give me pleasure over many years.

Jerry

22 minutes ago, jelida said:

Sorry to hear that, I hope they weren't ones I got. Those I won were 2860, the 1861 Gouby G, which I thought cheap at hammer of £260; 2863, the F38 which again I was happy with at £950, it is already toning nicely and will improve further from its past clean, and is a good grade, better than the CC one last year for a similar price. I threw the boat out rather on the 1898 lot 2903 and the F176, which filled a gap. Both I have been after for a while in reasonable grade (the 1898 is not as good as the Rasmussen one last year which he wanted well over a grand for, though I suspect it eventually went for considerably less). Lot 2931 gave me a reasonable F111 2 over 1, and I can sell the F114 on. The 1903 open 3 was a cheap gap-filler. And I got 2981, the F41 as a reasonable upgrade that will be hard to better. The latter is claimed in the catalogue to be ex Freeman. Is there any-one out there that can confirm this? I personally am doubtful, at least I do not think it is the one in the Freeman sale catalogue though the photo isn't great.

So a mixed batch, scarcity rather than quality and not cheap, but they will probably remain in my collection and give me pleasure over many years.

Jerry

Well done Jerry. I was a little disappointed with the prices (on those lots that actually managed to sell), but pleased that they're going to a collector that will appreciate them as much as the old man did.

Thanks John,

they are certainly much appreciated, your father gathered a great collection.

Jerry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jelida said:

the 1861 Gouby G, which I thought cheap at hammer of £260

Good buy Jerry - a rare one, that.

Didn't get anything this time and was under bidder on one lot. There were a couple that sold for less than what I would have paid. Might be should start attending auctions rather than just leaving commission bids...