British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I have spotted a couple, and one of them is not a penny.:ph34r:

I have also spotted a couple of coins but, sadly, relatively little there for me.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Loadsapennies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen so many rarities offered in one auction! Looks like the penny boys will be going broke on this one! :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Now online for anyone interested :)

Cheers Pete - must take a look :)

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

Loadsapennies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some absolutely amazing pennies. Best LCA for pennies for some time.

Literally spoilt for choice. This is the time when you need loadsamoney !!!!  

• Like 1

Silly estimate on the 1667/4 halfcrown - £12-14K.

Colin offered me that for £1600 before he consigned his collection which contained the better of his two for sale later in the year, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it given the condition. John (argentum) bought it for £2100 in Spink's March 2005 sale. 12 years, 12K increase in value? Surely not. Someone's having a laugh.

Guest Riggy

Anyone able to explain the difference between lots 2972, 2833 and 2834 please? They all look the same to me.

Certainly - ignore their description. You're virtually correct in that all three are examples of early beaded border pattern F763 but lots 2833 and 2972 are Gouby A+b where the R & E of REG touch at the base and lot 2834 is Gouby A1+b where R & E do NOT touch at the bottom. All 3 are rare and should fetch broadly similar prices.

• Like 1

The old man bought it Rob. He passed on 28/03 and the Halfcrown and Penny collections are offered in this sale. I was offered £4500 for the 1667/4 about 6-9 months after the sale but Dad decided to keep hold of it. I set the estimate on it and based it on the massive increase in prices on the 1726 Halfcrowns which are (as you know) considerably commoner. This is the 1st 1667/4 offered since the Adams sale and if it doesn't meet the reserve I am more than happy to put it back in my piggy bank ;-)

6 minutes ago, argentumandcoins said:

The old man bought it Rob. He passed on 28/03 and the Halfcrown and Penny collections are offered in this sale. I was offered £4500 for the 1667/4 about 6-9 months after the sale but Dad decided to keep hold of it. I set the estimate on it and based it on the massive increase in prices on the 1726 Halfcrowns which are (as you know) considerably commoner. This is the 1st 1667/4 offered since the Adams sale and if it doesn't meet the reserve I am more than happy to put it back in my piggy bank ;-)

Welcome back, stranger.

I knew it was your collection from a couple of other items - e.g the Chester. Who knows what it will do. Yes it is rare, but as we know, that doesn't necessarily equate to exponentially increasing prices. The market will decide, whatever - it only needs one person to bid.

Thanks Rob, I've been a wee bit busy mate...

Aye, 1 bidder against the reserve will do it. It hurt me more than you can imagine to sell the collection but needs must and I couldn't think of a better way to honour the old mans memory. The printed catalogue is a bit of a let down as LCA haven't listed the collections in the same sections (hammered halfcrowns are unattributed). I'll have to cough to shedding a few tears when I saw it in print this morning though.

I have a house full of auction catalogues to empty now (he kept everything).

John..so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.Take care buddy.

• Like 2

My nephew and his Misses came down to Suffolk for the recent Newcastle match at Portman Road.We agreed prior there would be no ribbing.:rolleyes:His 1st born is going to get the full Ipswich kit.(he is a Newkie season ticket holder) plus his car is better than mine....my bloody sisters fault for moving ooop North.

We were crap Peter. Luckiest team in the league to win that title as Brighton bottled it big style. I can't get my head around Rafa buying Murphy not to play him? The lad looked streets ahead of Mitrovic and Perez in terms of goal scoring ability.

On 5/17/2017 at 8:55 AM, argentumandcoins said:

We were crap Peter. Luckiest team in the league to win that title as Brighton bottled it big style. I can't get my head around Rafa buying Murphy not to play him? The lad looked streets ahead of Mitrovic and Perez in terms of goal scoring ability.

You're lucky to have a manager with Rafa's pedigree, especially as he did the decent thing and stopped after Newcastle were relegated in 2016. I hope the Newcastle fans chant his name loudly at Stamford Bridge next season, after the appalling treatment he got from Chelsea's fans, during his time there.

Anyway, sorry to learn of your Dad's passing. Some great pennies in his collection, which I notice has now got its own section "The Frank Stephenson collection of pennies", as well as a section for the halfcrowns, and a really nice write up.

Good to see you back anyway.

• Like 1

I think Rafa was swayed by the fans at the backend of last season. He's like the rest of us (loves to be loved)! Chelski hate us anyway as we are often their bogey side so it'll be nice to hear the away end bouncing to "Rafa, Rafael, Rafa, Rafael, Rafael Benitez" after we go 2 up....

Thanks re the old boy Mike. He was my best mate and saleroom sidekick so I'm a bit lost at the moment TBH. The write up was my tribute to him and the picture was taken on the most expensive day of my life (I should have said "I don't" but you live and learn). He was always torn between the 2 denominations but in the end he would always take a halfcrown over a penny. I'll lose money selling via auction but it was the only way I could put his mark in the numismatic history books and raise enough cash quickly enough to buy his house (if all goes well). Feel free to bid away......

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, argentumandcoins said:

I think Rafa was swayed by the fans at the backend of last season. He's like the rest of us (loves to be loved)! Chelski hate us anyway as we are often their bogey side so it'll be nice to hear the away end bouncing to "Rafa, Rafael, Rafa, Rafael, Rafael Benitez" after we go 2 up....

Thanks re the old boy Mike. He was my best mate and saleroom sidekick so I'm a bit lost at the moment TBH. The write up was my tribute to him and the picture was taken on the most expensive day of my life (I should have said "I don't" but you live and learn). He was always torn between the 2 denominations but in the end he would always take a halfcrown over a penny. I'll lose money selling via auction but it was the only way I could put his mark in the numismatic history books and raise enough cash quickly enough to buy his house (if all goes well). Feel free to bid away......

Cheers John. Fantastic items on offer anyway, and I've bid for two rarities. 

Good luck !!! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, argentumandcoins said:

Sorry about your dad too. 

Rafa will probably get a decent reception at Anfield (a lot of mutual respect there), and I expect he may even get a big hug from Klopp of the Kop. (God I do hope we beat Middlesborough and prevent a last minute sneak - as so often in the past - by the Gooners into the CL).

• Like 1

Thanks mate.

I can't see the Boro causing your lads too much stress. I thought Liverpool were nailed on for a trophy this season but their mid season loss of form left me a little perplexed.

I'm not counting chickens, especially with the ARS only 1 point behind and not having missed out on CL in ?16 years! Mind you, "all" we have to do is match their result and we're safe.

We have had some regular injuries - earlier Coutinho, Sturridge (as usual), Henderson for months, and Mané has been out quite a while now.  

I have put a couple of bids in, my first attempt at an auction. So what happens next?

How long afterwards do I learn if I have been lucky?

Can I follow the action in some way, or do I just wait until I am contacted?

Hi Ian.

You cant follow the auction online just have to wait till the results are posted on there site and then they will send you an invoice.

Good luck :)

Dont forget the winning amount may be someone elses so as to not raise your hopes :D

Edited by PWA 1967

Thanks Pete,

I will try and put it out of mind and get on with the weekend then.

Hope everyone gets what they are bidding on.