British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I just had a look at the upcoming Goldberg's catalogue, and was quite disappointed by the overall offerings, but more than this really have to question the three "VIP Record Proof" Wreaths dated 1928, 1932, and 1936. The latter looks perhaps the best, but the obverse of KG5 is very poorly struck in all three, the rims/edges just not there for proofs, and the reverse wreath details (i.e. stamens and flower details esp.) quite poor, at least to the accepted proofs that I have seen. I vote against all three, what say you dear readers?

You may want to look at the Proof 65 1927 just prior in this auction or the 1936 I had posted [with help] earlier on these boards.

Edited by VickySilver

Yes, I just looked at them. They are knackered too - but maybe that's why they are PR62 rather than PR65. Definitely not VIP

You mean for instance the thistle details being poor?

Yes, and the centers of the flowers (stamen). The details in G5's hair just is not there on any of the three and as you say they've been knocked about. If you compare them to the 1936 I posted up here, you may see the differences.