British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
LadyGlitterSparkles

Beginner Questions

Hi all, I recently inherited my Grandfather's coin collection. It has been sitting in a cardboard box since around the 70's I think and most are in bags.

What is the easiest way for me to sort all the coins out and display them? I have bought a couple of books about the coins worth and grading to try and help me.

Who do you recommend please if I would like to sell a few of them or find out an idea of their worth?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, 

I think the best thing you can do is to sort out all the coins, and firstly try and determine precisely what they are. Whether British or foreign, to start with, although some older British coins can be difficult to identify. Sort them into like types, and then into date order.

Selling is a bit of a minefield if you're new to the game, but we can probably give you pointers as to worth and the best places to market them. I will just throw in a word of caution not to get your hopes up to high. That's not to say your Grandfather didn't collect some absolute corkers, but a lot of people come on here with coins that really aren't worth much at all, wondering whether they're worth selling.

When you've sorted, if you'd like to photograph one or two different types and post on here, we can give you some meaningful advice as to the best way forward.    

Welcome LGS

As 1949 says, try to sort them a little first, and then many of us on here can advise once you post some pics, especially of pre-1971 British coins. If most of them are in bags it does not suggest rarity or high value, but you never know. Any pre-1947 silver-coloured British coins will contain at least 50% real silver, so they wil be worth their silver content at a minimum :)

Hi. New here. From n.ireland.  found a coin in my field.  34mm diameter. Deff a coin but no markings,  any ideas? Can post a pic 

15 minutes ago, Shane said:

Hi. New here. From n.ireland.  found a coin in my field.  34mm diameter. Deff a coin but no markings,  any ideas? Can post a pic 

In which case, how can you say it's a coin? No markings is a blank disc. It could be anything.

• Like 1

Guest Shane
On 10/05/2017 at 0:11 AM, Rob said:

In which case, how can you say it's a coin? No markings is a blank disc. It could be anything.

Ive found two other old pennys in the same area in the small one acre field. The field has been ours for 50 years plus and woukd have been used for potatoes and grazing only. In the country side and no junk in it. It seems unlikely not to be a coin.  Il put a picture here ,the one on the left. The other two are some sort of pennys from 1919 and 1920 something. Im just new to metal detecting. Can you let me know ehat you think. Thanks

photo_4.JPG

photo_3.JPG

photo_2.JPG

photo_1.JPG

photo_4.JPG

photo_3.JPG

photo_2.JPG

photo_1.JPG

Ive found two other old pennys in the same area in the small one acre field. The field has been ours for 50 years plus and woukd have been used for potatoes and grazing only. In the country side and no junk in it. It seems unlikely not to be a coin.  Il put a picture here ,the one on the left. The other two are some sort of pennys from 1919 and 1920 something. Im just new to metal detecting. Can you let me know ehat you think. Thanks

hiya lady....just been through this exact thing a coupla times myself in recent months....huge learning curve......the coin yearbook 2017 will help you get off the ground....and if youve got anything oldish best thing to do is get some pics on here for the dudes to help you with....that way youll also start to see the range of what youve got and become familiar with it....and for now, DO NOT CLEAN ANY IN ANY WAY!!

regards

p

hi shane....i'm new to metal detecting myself...great hobby, hope youre enjoying it!

i'm also fairly new to coin collecting too but even so i've got to tell you that its very unlikely those sort of 'coins' in that condition will be worth anything....from what i can see they are fairly modern and would have to be in mint condition to have any value....

however thats not to say that metal detecting can indeed turn up very collectable coins which appear in bad condition such as 'hammered' and roman....these are much older. i started out mainly watching two youtubers, addictedtobleeps and the man with the hat....go check out their vids to see what youre really after...

and please keep posting up your finds....maybe best to start your own thread rather than sticking them here in ladyglitters thread though! lol:P

keep going....youll find something sooner or later....and what detector do you use?

regards

prep

Hi,  "how the devil are ya"  thanks for reply.  Firstly, Which group in here shud i chat in? , secondly, im not intrested in what there worth if anything,im not detecting to make money . Im mainly intrested in the history of it or what it was,last person to hold it etc etc..  I bought a second hand detector for 60 pounds (bounty hunter quick draw 2) i know its not the best but again ,i do have a full time job and this is only for a  few hours at the weekends in my fields. I do intent do by a cscope of some sort before the summer and yea ive been watching addicted to bleeps, hes pretty cool guy.  So yea,just wanted to know what the coin might have looked like whem it was new.   Thanks....