British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Today's Spink auction - some interesting observations

It's a lot better than it was. The old system was ripped up (that was when they offered free bidding through the Saleroom) and a new one installed which has been in use for at least a couple years.

On 28 April 2017 at 6:12 PM, 1949threepence said:

Second thing I noticed, which may or may not be controversial, is that with Lot No 208, there was seemingly a successful room bid, and the hammer came down - thud - then an internet bid flashed up. Actually it had flashed up on my screen just milliseconds before the hammer came down. The auctioneer then reversed the hammer decision, and let the auction continue. This obviously annoyed the room bidder, who I distinctly heard say "hammered to me", but the auctioneer disagreed.

Should they do that once the hammer has come down? I suppose you could argue that the internet bid was made prior to hammer, but the room bidder was unfairly misled into thinking he had won the lot.       

The sale is completed when the auctioneer decides it is - the rap of the hammer is little more than a widely used convention. However, it could greatly impact an auctioneer's reputation if they change their minds more than occasionally, and without good reason. The delay of the internet complicates matters further.

It happened today on an old series of put your money where your mouth is.FFS when the hammer goes down...that is final.If the auctioneer is a wine soaked idiot get rid.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

It happened today on an old series of put your money where your mouth is.FFS when the hammer goes down...that is final.If the auctioneer is a wine soaked idiot get rid.

On the basis that a line has to be drawn somewhere, I'm inclined to agree with you. On Friday, there were too many prolonged silences awaiting internet bids, not to mention the aforesaid hammer decision reversal.

At the end of the day, if there is a delay in the internet bid reaching the auctioneer - for whatever reason - that is not his fault. He surely has to call it on the basis of what is in front of him at the fair warning moment. So, as you say, once the hammer goes down, that should be bid successful. It has to be, otherwise the credibility of the sale is compromised and the whole process becomes shambolic.     

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

I have personally seen it at Fine art auctions when the auctioneer misses an in room bid.Hammer down and that is it.That is (or should be) how it works.An inept auctioneer (and his team including IT) if they are not up to the game they can do one.I won't be bidding on anything on the net or giving my "on the book" prices.Ebay is now fecked so coin/antique fairs it will have to be.:(

• Like 1

Just as the auctioneer will give the room time to bid again he will do the same for the internet. Usually only when he can see an internet bidder hovering over the bid button on his screen. Particularly if a reserve has not been reached or he feels his duty to the vendor to achieve the best price has not been met.

Usually hammer down means sold but when is the hammer down? When it goes down? When the internet bidder hears it go down? When the operator presses the sold button? I wonder what the delay time is for someone in Australia? We regularly have punters registered from all over the world.

The normal response to a late internet bid after the hammer has gone down is "Please bid a little quicker internet!".

A lot of what the auctioneer is allowed to do can be misinterpreted. The sign of a good one is that you won't notice.
I've been an auction punter and vendor since 1977 and on the "inside" for about the last ten. I can count the "good" auctioneers on the fingers of one hand.

After all it's all smoke and mirrors and all the fun of the fair is in the saleroom. B)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fubar said:

Just as the auctioneer will give the room time to bid again he will do the same for the internet. Usually only when he can see an internet bidder hovering over the bid button on his screen. Particularly if a reserve has not been reached or he feels his duty to the vendor to achieve the best price has not been met.

Usually hammer down means sold but when is the hammer down? When it goes down? When the internet bidder hears it go down? When the operator presses the sold button? I wonder what the delay time is for someone in Australia? We regularly have punters registered from all over the world.

The normal response to a late internet bid after the hammer has gone down is "Please bid a little quicker internet!".

A lot of what the auctioneer is allowed to do can be misinterpreted. The sign of a good one is that you won't notice.
I've been an auction punter and vendor since 1977 and on the "inside" for about the last ten. I can count the "good" auctioneers on the fingers of one hand.

After all it's all smoke and mirrors and all the fun of the fair is in the saleroom. B)

From time to time, I noticed on the Spink auction that a little message would pop up which said words to the effect of "Do not delay bidding, the auctioneer will not wait". So even if they are hovering over the bid button, that's still not justifying an abnormally prolonged delay in my opinion. 5 seconds tops.

• Like 1

Problem with bidding on line........if you bid at the same time as a couple more but yours registers last you may end up bidding more than you wanted especially if larger increments.

Sometimes i feel online bidders wait until any intial interest has gone ,then next bid will hopefully be just that.

Anybody help me with a different question. Before the saleroom changed their website, I could always hear the auction. Now, with their new site, I find I am unable to get the sound to work. The icon just above the list of lots generally says that the sound can't be enabled or words to that effect. Anybody get any ideas what I need to do to get the sound to work? To the best of my knowledge, I haven't changed anything on my PC or on the saleroom website.

4 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Anybody help me with a different question. Before the saleroom changed their website, I could always hear the auction. Now, with their new site, I find I am unable to get the sound to work. The icon just above the list of lots generally says that the sound can't be enabled or words to that effect. Anybody get any ideas what I need to do to get the sound to work? To the best of my knowledge, I haven't changed anything on my PC or on the saleroom website.

I found it quite easy by just enabling the audio button. Next time one is running, I should hopefully be listening. PM me and I'll walk you through what I do.  

On 4/28/2017 at 6:57 PM, Rob said:

No it wasn't.

Was this a coin you had looked at and viewed Rob as you seem quite sure and respect your opinion.

Could it not of been or atleast the bidders thought was an unrecorded Rev B Copper Proof ?.

I still cant get my head around why there was so much interest :)

58 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Was this a coin you had looked at and viewed Rob as you seem quite sure and respect your opinion.

Could it not of been or atleast the bidders thought was an unrecorded Rev B Copper Proof ?.

I still cant get my head around why there was so much interest :)

That would seem logical, it is the only GeoIV Penny reverse not previously recorded as Copper proof

Raised line on Saltire, so not A, no straps to Sandal so not C, price is similar to those achieved with the other Copper proof Pennies of GeoIV, not to be confused with the Bronzed Copper Proofs which are a dark red/brown in colour

21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

From time to time, I noticed on the Spink auction that a little message would pop up which said words to the effect of "Do not delay bidding, the auctioneer will not wait". So even if they are hovering over the bid button, that's still not justifying an abnormally prolonged delay in my opinion. 5 seconds tops.

There is a button on the screen that allows the operator to send messages like that but normally there isn't time to choose a message. I'm afraid all they get from me is the fair warning whenever there's a lull. That normally wakes them up but some just hang there as if they're waiting for something to happen.
As I said before any long delays are probably in the hope that someone will bid to reach a reserve or a decent amount rather than pass unsold.

I know one of our punters who is regularly in a field at a boot fair or such with two mobile phones and an ipad bidding on several auctions at once. He admits to keeping his finger on the bid button but he won't leave commission bids.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 1:39 PM, jaggy said:

I didn't bid in this auction as there was nothing there for me.

Like it or not, online bidding is the way of the world now and having a good system is a competitive advantage. Spink's system isn't as good as DNW or Heritage but at least they have one, unlike London Coins. While the catalogue photos are awful, using the My Spink feature does give access to better photos which is a plus.

I can't really comment on prices but, looking at other auctions where I have participated - not always successfully - prices do appear to be strong. And if it is that coin that you just want an that somebody else just wants then that can easily push the price.

Very fair point.

Anybody received their won lots yet?

They haven't even debited my card. 

On 4/29/2017 at 1:33 AM, VickySilver said:

49er - Can you please post pictures of the 1905 shilling once in hand?

Thanks

Posted in "Coin acquisition of the week" thread, VS :)