British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
richtips86

New pound coin

still not got one of the wrong sided ones.. got a fair few 2016 and 2017s to check for details now though.

i think a lot of it is to do with variation of tolerances during the striking process coupled with mass production 

Does anyone know if the blanks are round ?.

If the blanks are round and i am led to believe more than one machine running, a fraction of a difference in the die setting could possibly make a slight difference .

Maybe i am way off :D

Edited by PWA 1967

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

If the blanks are round and i am led to believe more than one machine running, a fraction of a difference in the die setting could possibly make a slight difference .

yes the blanks are round, the edges are made by a collar when the coin is struck 

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

I don't think the shape of the blanks is an issue because the 'corners' on the edge always correspond to the same point on the design to within a midge's. These are a full milled/blank section out. It is quite possible that the position of the edge milling was intended to be a security feature and that this is an error. Or could the collar be put on upside down, as this would produce the same effect?

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Different machines will possibly produce different varieties as Dave has found ?.

7 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Different machines will possibly produce different varieties as Dave has found ?.

So far I have found 6 edge types identified as follows:

Edge 1             Milling to right and starts halfway right of centre of the shield
Edge 2             Milling to right and starts slightly right of centre of the shield
Edge 3             Milling to right and starts at centre of the shield
Edge 4             Milling to right and starts halfway left of centre of the shield
Edge 5             Milling to right and starts slightly left of centre of the shield
Edge 6             Milling to left and starts slightly left of centre of the shield

Apart from the fact that I have only found 1 coin out of 23 with the milling to the left of centre, thus making it rarer than the others, I have no feel for the relative scarcity of the different types.

Edited by DaveG38

5 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Just the engineering tolerances will produce 'varieties' within those limits. The question is, at what point are these limits exceeded, and even then, is the difference due to an out of tolerance component? These would still not be an error in my view, as wear and tear will increase the size of any gaps leading to an increasingly sloppy fit. They will stop using the die or collar once it is broken or obviously causing faulty strikes. I would suggest it is a fairly inexact science to determine at what point these could even be considered as an error. Same goes for die fill. Not in the original design, but not an error once it happens.

link

not sure if this helps you guys at all

also 2017 ones the watermark feature the £ is clearly visible nearly all the time.

Just found the first 2017 with smooth area to the right of the Hologram on the rim. I have checked literally 100's, banking almost £600 worth of £1 coins for the kids group I run in the last month alone. Anyone else come across any 2017 the same?

I got one on the corner directly underneath, seems to sink the the level of the main field. seems to be on a recent batch... others are fine.

Edited by scott

16 hours ago, bhx7 said:

Just found the first 2017 with smooth area to the right of the Hologram on the rim. I have checked literally 100's, banking almost £600 worth of £1 coins for the kids group I run in the last month alone. Anyone else come across any 2017 the same?

Not yet for 2017, but found one dated 2016.

• Like 1

I've got two 2016 coins with the milling to the left, if that's the same thing as 'smooth area to the right of the hologram on the rim"?  Got them in change in July.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2017 at 6:09 PM, Stuntman said:

I've got two 2016 coins with the milling to the left, if that's the same thing as 'smooth area to the right of the hologram on the rim"?  Got them in change in July.

I did not find one in the circa 40 checked. Problem is that if this variety becomes better known, then you will have people hammering out the nickel-plated centre in order to produce them. 

I think it would be fun if the Royal Mint had deliberately produced a rarer variety (say 1 in 1000) and put them into circulation. This would generate a lot of interest in the new £1 coins.

54 minutes ago, Sword said:

I did not find one in the circa 40 checked. Problem is that if this variety becomes better known, then you will have people hammering out the nickel-plated centre in order to produce them. 

I think it would be fun if the Royal Mint had deliberately produced a rarer variety (say 1 in 1000) and put them into circulation. This would generate a lot of interest in the new £1 coins.

I think we are discussing whether the edge milling appears to the left of the hologram or not. Nothing to do with the centre. I may be wrong however. 

Sorry. My mistake

I got another one in my change yesterday, 2016 coin again.  This one's going back into circulation but I have kept the other two for the time being at least.

Are there plans to regularly change the reverse design on the new pound coins, like they did on the 'round' pound? It doesn't mention anything on the Royal Mint website...

On 25/04/2017 at 11:07 PM, Sword said:

Here's a photo. The micro letters on the obverse state "one pound" all round the edge. On the reverse, you have micro numbers "2017" all round instead of "one pound". You need magnification to read the letters or numbers. 

1 pound - Copy.jpg

Jeez its tough to see them lol

WIN_20171016_14_37_45_Pro.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz

On 11/05/2017 at 10:48 PM, Sword said:

This has been confirmed by Check your change (which I think is written by Chris himself)

http://www.checkyourchange.co.uk/1-coins-in-circulation/2016-one-pound/

"I know of about 50 so far and as it’s hard to spot without a magnifying lens, there are probably a lot of others out there."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4674846/Window-cleaner-finds-faulty-1-coin-worth-3-000.html

Worth £3k? Yeah right! Apparently, he took £500 in coins out of banks five times a day for six weeks. Might have done better by sticking to his day job of cleaning windows. 

9 minutes ago, Sword said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4674846/Window-cleaner-finds-faulty-1-coin-worth-3-000.html

Worth £3k? Yeah right! Apparently, he took £500 in coins out of banks five times a day for six weeks. Might have done better by sticking to his day job of cleaning windows. 

If a £1 coin is worth £3K and the Daily Mail costs 65p (surely something wrong!), then pro-rata, that's about right. I wouldn't value a copy of the Mail any higher than the implied 0.0216666p price. In fact I'd probably still feel ripped off.

• Like 3