British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
richtips86

New pound coin

On 5/26/2017 at 7:43 PM, bhx7 said:

Not sure if this has been noted. At the bottom of the coin around the edge. Below the hologram section the reeding is standardly to the right and with smooth to the left. I have checked about 70 coins up to now and have only found 1 that has reeding to the left. I know with the previous decimal coinage edge variation has been unimportant, but if this is the standard ratio then I would assume this would make a difference. Just an observation.

Just checked about a dozen and they're all "smooth to the left" - quite interesting.

• Like 1

Further to bhx7's observation:  I've checked my ten examples of which only one has the reeding to the left of the hologram section.  My, left reeding example, also has the bimetallic circle almost passing through the tip of a Leek leaf and the tip of the portrait neck cutting below the bimetallic circle. This 'potentially seemingly scarcer' example was mentioned in DaveG38's posting on 12th May where he says that he has "yet to encounter" this example.

Has anyone else encountered the left/right reeding example and, with or without the tip of leaf or low portrait example?

Regards

Cliff

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, bhx7 said:

Not sure if this has been noted. At the bottom of the coin around the edge. Below the hologram section the reeding is standardly to the right and with smooth to the left. I have checked about 70 coins up to now and have only found 1 that has reeding to the left. I know with the previous decimal coinage edge variation has been unimportant, but if this is the standard ratio then I would assume this would make a difference. Just an observation.

One pound reeding differences 2.jpg

One pound reeding differences.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, DaveG38 said:

The two types I refer to in my post above pretty much equate to your top two photos. I've yet to encounter one like your bottom type.

New Pound Reeding Obv.jpg

New Pound Reeding Rev.jpg

New Pound Reeding.jpg

Just looked at 23 and all were smooth to the left .

Didnt think i had any untill the wife told me to look in my grandaughters money box :)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Just checked mine again. None have the reeding to the left, but one has the reeding mostly to the right, but with 3 lines into the left hand side. This is paired with the reverse that has almost all of the thistle leaf in the brass ring and the legend touching the inner ring. i.e. appears to be struck slighly off centre.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Just looked at 23 and all were smooth to the left .

Didnt think i had any untill the wife told me to look in my grandaughters money box :)

Its really bugging me now.

A mate has just called who is a taxi driver and just finished i have gone through all his i forgot to count them but probably about thirty.

Not one :D

isn't that just random, like the old lettering placement?

Edited by scott

1 hour ago, scott said:

isn't that just random, like the old lettering placement?

I was wondering about that. It could be that supplies of the new coin are done on an area by area basis, with all production going for distribution in one area. If you can get 6 figures from a die pair, then it may be necessary to see several runs before the averages work out to be 50:50. Are these edges put on in advance or at the time of striking?

For what it's worth, I have 1 smooth right to 11 smooth left.

Edited by Rob
survey
  • Like 1

Everyone I've checked, about a dozen, have been to the left, so they haven't been released to the West Country.

Having looked at a dozen or so for the first time, the likely number of calls I will be receiving in the future doesn't bear thinking about.

All those different ONE POUND and 2016 potential errors, i.e. one to twelve parts of either side's miniature legend being blocked or indistinct. Off-centre strikes. Coins dated 2016 that weren't issued until 2017. Warts and all the other die flaws that will occur naturally. Position of the milling relative to the design.

I think I am going off-grid until the situation stabilises.:ph34r:

• Like 1

I've checked 9, eight of which are smooth to the left and one has the reeding to the left

Got a pair of 2017s in the past day or two.

I've checked approx 25 £1 coins, all but one have smooth to the left. I would have thought, as an earlier poster mentionned that the edges were random depending upon which way the blank landed in between the dies, like the old £1 coins.

However, surely mathematical law of averages would suggest a more even 50/50 kind of distribution between plain to the left or to the right. But from preliminary reports here it seems very skewed in one direction, which suggests it's more intentional. Maybe you're onto something there, who knows? My first thoughts on the matter would be to ask, what type do the BU sets have? It has been known for the BU sets to have one die variety of coin and the circulation strikes to be of a different type.

All very early days at the moment though.

Just out of interest, are they all magnetic? I read somewhere that the centres are nickel plated steel. Although the mint have been known in the past to have differing compositions, thinking of 1998 or 1999 2p coins here (I forget which date), I suspect it unlikely that any have cupro-nickel centres, but with a massive mintage such as a recoinage strange things can happen and often don't always come to light until years afterwards. Especially thinking that the 2016s were supposedly for the vending machine industry to check their equipment and then were supposed to be handed back (according to some accounts I read in the news shortly after their introduction). Maybe the prototypes are the ones with the different edges? Dunno.

Edited by Sylvester

Both types are only slightly magnetic, so presumably the same composition whatever that may be.

17 minutes ago, Sylvester said:

Especially thinking that the 2016s were supposedly for the vending machine industry to check their equipment and then were supposed to be handed back (according to some accounts I read in the news shortly after their introduction). Maybe the prototypes are the ones with the different edges?

I was looking through news reports trying to find evidence of this, to prove I hadn't mis-remembered it. When I stumbled upon this in the mirror:

Check out the photo they used for the 2016 "trial coins", it's very clear that the milling on that one is on the left.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/rare-1-coins-worth-250-10112175

Edited by Sylvester

It also shows something dated 2017 whereas these coins in question are dated 2016. That is a computer generated image, so I'm not sure how much reliance should be placed on the relative position of the milling.

Who let that tripe dresser hold the coin.

Alternative designs coming soon.

Anyone would think he had dug it up :D

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

It also shows something dated 2017 whereas these coins in question are dated 2016. That is a computer generated image, so I'm not sure how much reliance should be placed on the relative position of the milling.

I don't doubt it. I was only offering possible suggestions, some perhaps more plausible than others. The placement may well be random and this hasn't been proven either way at the moment. If it isn't random though, then an explanition/reason must lie somewhere.

Just throwing it out there, probably unlikely. But do you reckon there's a chance the obverse/reverse die is on the underneath instead of above the blank for a few machines whereas it's normally the other way?

That's a possibility. The dies are likely to have the same locating mechanism, so if you had say 20 presses with only one having the dies the wrong way round, it would lead to a seemingly irrational ratio.

Does anyone who has visited the mint know how many presses are used?

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Guest Tel1958

The only other anomaly that I know of & have found is the edge milling position. On most coins the milling is to the right of the hologram, I've had 7 out of 250 that the milling is to the left of the hologram. They are all 2016's. I've only found 9 2017 coins so far.

Well my taxi mate has just been and i have looked through 61.

Not one :D

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 8:38 PM, scott said:

what was the point in the 2016s if they made 2017s as well, only seen one on ebay..

because theyh ad to start making them last year to get enough numbers, i believe they have now struck 1 billion of each, i'm sure i read some where that they were making 40,000 a minute at peak production, makes Edward I recoinage of 130,000,000 pennies look silly, 

I was told its approx 30,000 an HOUR by one machine although i dont know how many they have :)

Guest Rob48

After hexking probably well over 100 coins over the last few months I have finally found one with the reeding on the "wrong side". I've noticed the gold metal seems a bit darker than on the other coins so maybe it's one of the earlier pressings?

BTW what is with all the confused media stories about this coin? Most of them seem to confuse the standard 2016 dated coin with the trial pieces. Journalism is dead...

19 minutes ago, Guest Rob48 said:

BTW what is with all the confused media stories about this coin? Most of them seem to confuse the standard 2016 dated coin with the trial pieces. Journalism is dead...

Journalism is nearly always a case of 'me too' reporting. There aren't enough stories of interest to go round, so one paper's scoop is often a different version another paper's scoop. The tabloids do better simply because they widen their net to include the ever vacuous and irrelevant celebrity 'news'. Also, if in doubt, make it up. Anyway, the news about the 2016 pound must be right as it was printed in a respectable 'newspaper'

Edited by Rob