British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
richtips86

New pound coin

A 2017 main (obverse) dated pound with micro 2016 dates on the reverse was reported to me yesterday. I haven't been able to confirm it though and it may well be that someone is confused and it is the known main 2016 date with tiny 2017 on the reverse type.

Guest Burt

I picked up quite a few of the blank head, tails, round edge 2016 and 2017 pound coins when they first appeared on ebay. I paid quite a lot for the first couple but by the end I was picking them up for less the £10 as more and more got listed. 

I looked on ebay the other day to see what price they were being listed at now to see if I had made a good decision in my purchase and found that there were no more listed. 

Where these coins a true error or were they altered to be sold on ebay for a quick profit 

should I cut my losses and now just spend them

thanks 

I know there was a lot of machining of normal coins to create spurious ‘mint errors’ going on, but it is difficult to comment on yours without photos. If they were machined, they will be slightly underweight so an accurate scales might be revealing.

Jerry

Guest Burt

I’m away at the moment so can’t add any pics. I brought about 20. I have weighed them before. There are a couple that look like they might of been altered and are more then a few 10ths of a gram out but most were about the correct weight. 

They were all homemade ,one guy sold over 300.

People were buying them from him and relisting them and the fact you bought twenty i would think are the same ones.

They were all spurious. I think one of lads who posts on here made one himself with a grinder to show how easily  it was done. They are basically worthless they may even be rejected as legal tender by some places as they are classed as defaced currency.

Edited by Ukstu

Guest Burt

Thanks guys I will not be giving them to the nephews then. That was a few hundred quid wasted there's one born every day 👍

On 8/24/2017 at 8:46 PM, bhx7 said:

Just found the first 2017 with smooth area to the right of the Hologram on the rim. I have checked literally 100's, banking almost £600 worth of £1 coins for the kids group I run in the last month alone. Anyone else come across any 2017 the same?

I have now. Still no 2016 though.

• Like 1

Just for information - my article on the new pound coin is due out in the April edition of Coin News.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, been looking forward to seeing this.

Cliff

8 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Just for information - my article on the new pound coin is due out in the April edition of Coin News.

Thanks for the heads up.

On 3/8/2018 at 0:01 PM, DaveG38 said:

What a fantastic article ,not my thing but a big HAT OFF :)

23 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

What a fantastic article ,not my thing but a big HAT OFF :)

Thank you kind sir. I take it the mag is now out, or is yours an advance copy ahead of general disribution?

I dont know if it comes any earlier than on sale in the shops Dave as just have it posted and arrived yesterday :)

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I dont know if it comes any earlier than on sale in the shops Dave as just have it posted and arrived yesterday :)

I may be wrong, but I think subscribers get their copies a bit earlier than those who just pick one up from the newsagent.

For whatever reason I've only today received my April Coin News edition and would now like to congratulate (somewhat belatedly) David on his two articles re the 12 sided Pound coin.  I envy your patience and eye for detail.