British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
richtips86

New pound coin

I've had about 20 so far, has anyone picked up any anomalies so far? All mine to date have been consistent.

seen 50 or so - according to the internet a 2016/2017  mule exists - not found one yet .

Some people are selling the ordinary 2016 coin or craigslist / gumtree for up to £500 claiming its rare - how a coin with a mintage of 1 .5 billion can be rare and worth £500 I don't know

Well, if it's only a handful of people listing out of a population of 60m +, then at least the idiots are rare.

I would be  less worried about the sellers - its any buyers that would worry me

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

I would be  less worried about the sellers - its any buyers that would worry me

At the £500 level they should be exceptionally rare.

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

or probably none existant

I've only had one so far, and I had to wait until 18th April to get that !!! 

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

or probably none existant

Nah. There's always one.

11 hours ago, Rob said:

Should!

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I've only had one so far, and I had to wait until 18th April to get that !!! 

Yes, I haven't received any in change to date in Manchester but they seem to be awash with them in Dorset. Yet none of the 33? banks to release the coins were anywhere near Dorset!

still got old ones here.. I own 5.. nothing of note.

what is this mule that is supposed to exist?

1 minute ago, scott said:

still got old ones here.. I own 5.. nothing of note.

what is this mule that is supposed to exist?

One type has the date 2016 on the obverse and micro 2017s on the reverse. 

I have checked some of mine and realised that the micro numbers on the reverse are not always legible even on near mint condition coins.

oh I haven't checked those.... but given the standards the mint come out with, they will probably be filled anyway.

More appalling quality control (or more likely, specification), I have long since lost interest in modern decimals.

Apart from being able to find them in your change from time to time, I am missing something as far as collectability goes!

Still got £ notes around here and the only fake £ coins were imported by me when I worked in Canning Town:ph34r:

no mules here, but given people have already been taking the middles out of £1's and selling them as "errors" means there is little chance of proving a mule, down the line

4 hours ago, scott said:

no mules here, but given people have already been taking the middles out of £1's and selling them as "errors" means there is little chance of proving a mule, down the line

The date is not on the middle Scott :)

On 24/04/2017 at 9:48 PM, Sword said:

One type has the date 2016 on the obverse and micro 2017s on the reverse. 

I have checked some of mine and realised that the micro numbers on the reverse are not always legible even on near mint condition coins.

Where is the micro lettering? Is it visible to the naked eye as I can't see anything and don't have any form of magnification available!

18 minutes ago, richtips86 said:

Where is the micro lettering? Is it visible to the naked eye as I can't see anything and don't have any form of magnification available!

On the inside of the rim on the reverse, as far as seeing it i suppose it depends on your eyesight as the wife can see it were as i can only just make out the coin B)

Here's a photo. The micro letters on the obverse state "one pound" all round the edge. On the reverse, you have micro numbers "2017" all round instead of "one pound". You need magnification to read the letters or numbers. 

1 pound - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

On 22/04/2017 at 9:48 PM, richtips86 said:

I've had about 20 so far, has anyone picked up any anomalies so far? All mine to date have been consistent.

The only one I have seen so far is where the queen's coronet intrudes into the outer ring of the coin. Most appear to have the portrait entirely within the centre disc. A few have the top piece of the crown into the brass ring. Its also noticeable that the truncation of the bust is usually close to the edge of the inner disc, but on the 'intruding coronet' type there is a gap, as if the bust was struck off centre.

The only other type, of which there are hundreds on ebay, are those where the centre has been pressed out and swapped round, plus there are some where the centre disc has been rotated. All post mint of course. Haven't seen any with 2017 on the reverse and 2016 on the obverse.

More rubbish in the sun this time in a headline - just wondering if it was a slow news day today , or are we getting tired of brexit and the election already?

They  should have worked out by now their story in a none story caused by the general public using liquid nitrogen gas to increase the value of a pound coin 10,000 times and maybe sell to some person with half a brain on craigslist or gumtree

Anyone seen any 2017 dated £1 coins yet?

I've encounted only about half a dozen new £1 coins and they've all been 2016s.

Haven't checked the micro lettering, I doubt if I'll be able to read it anyway!

what was the point in the 2016s if they made 2017s as well, only seen one on ebay..