British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy

BoE 3 Shilling

Anyone know what the official weight of a 1811 BofE 3 shilling Token is, it doesn't seem to be recorded in any of my references?

I've got 35.0g recorded - I suspect I got that out of the Coincraft catalogue some years ago, I seem to remember going through it once and getting all the weights and diameters...

3 minutes ago, declanwmagee said:

Spot on Paul, it's 35.0 mm !

I have an 1812 I am happy with  1812_3s_1st_bust_01_02_cgs_78_uin_19128_

• Like 1

That's a lovely coin and beautiful toning, it puts mine in the spot but it explains why it's only 14.5 grms.

1 minute ago, declanwmagee said:

ooh, careful Sleepy - contemporary counterfeits do exist...

Yes 0.5g off is quite a lot, do you have pics?

Mine is 14.78g.

A copper counterfeit with a silver wash would be nearly 15% light assuming all dimensions were as for a genuine coin, so you would be looking at around the 13g mark.

Here's a picture, the coin in hand is a lot better even for gF my photos seem to remove all the life from coins and emphasis every poor quality. I'm pretty sure it is genuine as it came from a reputable dealer and for the price I paid, even if it was a contemporary counterfeit, I would be pleased.

BoE 3 Shilling.jpg

Impossible to say from the image.

Seuk's site with contemporary counterfeits is http://www.steppeulvene.com/index.bank_token_3s.html

For a genuine example see below. This is 1812 (no 1811 to hand) and shows slight detail differences compared to the 1811 varieities according to Davis, the latter having 5 berries in the laurel, the first leaf pointing to the first limb or end of E and the reverse has anything from 24 to 27 acorns in the wreath.

c1961- 1812 3 shilling bank token - Copy.jpg

Here's an 1811 from the archive to compare. Sorry, only the one image to hand.

02283.JPG

I think Tony Clayton's 15g is a bit too round for a country still using grains, so I think his figure is a best estimate. I note that CCGB gives a reading of about 7.3g for a BoE 18d so doubling that would suggest about 14.6g for the 3 shilling. I suspect that the official reading was never recorded so the best we can do is take the readings from as many coins as possible, add a constant for wear against grade and come up with a best figure.

• Like 1

PS some nice coins up there!

Looking through realised prices i'm seeing 14,5g to 14.66g