British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
CarlosSilver

Fake Florins?

Hi all. I've been a lurker here for a while and decided it was time to join.

I've recently started to collect silver pre decimal coins to go along with my bullion.

So, here's my first post.

I have two 1922 Florins. As you can see the grades differ significantly. I know, I know, the one on the right is only good for the bin. I was testing some bullion with a magnet and dropped it on one of these coins and it stuck. I checked the other one and it stuck to that one too. I'm no expert but these coins shouldn't be magnetic should they? The strange thing is that the magnet only sticks to part of the coins, at about 10 o'clock. Here's a picture if you need to see them.

Do you reckon they are fake? 

IMAG3711-picsay.jpg

The obverses look really bad. I have seen on spurious that they are frequently worn to hide poor die work, etc. Interesting that the alloy may be different & that you must have a small magnet to pick up specific areas on the coin's surface. The denticles look quite bad on the reverses as well, with that on the right worst. The magnetism suggesting nickel, which would be a part of the genuine .500 alloy by recollection. I believe that there were extensive alloy testing going on with coins that went into circulation.

There are fakes for the 1922 Florin apparently .......i didnt know.

Sorry i cant put the link up but can be read online.

Counterfeit coin newsletter Jan 2009.

Mentions that they weigh 8.56 gr and possibly made of tin alloy.

I dont know anything about them but found the page interesting to read.

Pete.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

There are fakes for the 1922 Florin apparently .......i didnt know.

Sorry i cant put the link up but can be read online.

Counterfeit coin newsletter Jan 2009.

Mentions that they weigh 8.56 gr and possibly made of tin alloy.

I dont know anything about them but found the page interesting to read.

Pete.

Thanks Pete.

I'll hunt that article out. These weigh 11.1gr so about right for a genuine florin. 

Those are probably contemporary with the half crowns etc. that you also see from time to time. All appear to be tin alloyed with 10-20% of something. Possibly lead as high mp solder is relatively hard.

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

The obverses look really bad. I have seen on spurious that they are frequently worn to hide poor die work, etc. Interesting that the alloy may be different & that you must have a small magnet to pick up specific areas on the coin's surface. The denticles look quite bad on the reverses as well, with that on the right worst. The magnetism suggesting nickel, which would be a part of the genuine .500 alloy by recollection. I believe that there were extensive alloy testing going on with coins that went into circulation.

Thanks for the reply VickySilver.

I've got a number of very small magnets that came with some excellent collar stiffeners.