British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chingford

Rare Aquatic 50 pence copies

Copies of the Aquatic 50 pence currently being offered on Ebay as genuine, usual story, found in moneybox, retrieved from mounting etc.. most worrying in some cases being swapped with the coin in original packaging, several obvious differences when shown next to a genuine example, the images are of a genuine reverse (Left) and a copy sent to me by PWA to show the differences.

Untitled2.jpg

• Like 1

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for the pictures John i dont like anyone being ripped off (people selling them as genuine ) and although nobody posted i know a lot of beginners read the forum.

Its like a spot the difference :)

Although numerous ones the downstoke on the G stands out.

Pete.

Exactly the reason for posting, serves to help those trying to purchase a genuine coin not to get ripped off.

There was one on Ebay using a photo 'borrowed' from previous genuine listing, ask Seller for additional images and be specific as to the image required, any Seller wanting to sell their coin will oblige, get no response or an excuse, leave well alone.

Everyone is different, each will find a feature that stands out to them, for myself IRB on the Obv and gap between swimmers breast and waves on the Rev,

• Like 1

Here's a few which make me look carefully.

Font of inscription - fake seems to be thinner.

Goggles - Real one has a more defined inner incuse ring.

Lines across the face - more wavy on the real one, better defined ear.

The TM next to the Olympic logo is narrower on the real coin.

AQ_Rev.jpg

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
  • Like 1

can tell straight away from the bust 

14 hours ago, craigy said:

can tell straight away from the bust 

If you've never seen the genuine one, I doubt it.

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

If you've never seen the genuine one, I doubt it.

the bust is totally different from the bust that would be on every circulating coin of that date, i dont need it in my hand to tell that the coin is a fake, doesnt matter what the reverse is of