British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

English Siege Pieces.

Bored this evening so have been flicking through some old books. This article may be of some interest. Connoisseur  Magazine , November 1904.

Page one.

Siege 1-01.jpg

You managed to start separate topics for each page Michael, so I merged them for you.  Hopefully it reads more easily now! 
Richard

Ta Richard.

It was all about the image file sizes. 500 max, I had to post each page in turn. Part one, part two etc.

Thanks for tidying it up. 

Edited by Michael-Roo

These are part of 'The Obsidional Money of the Great Rebellion 1642-1649' by Philip Nelson. Although the original books are not easily found in nice condition, there was a reprint run of 2000 copies made in 1976. Softback with 71 pages, it covers issues in both England and Ireland.

So, I suppose nice to see the original article as published? :-)

I have several years of the magazine bound into volumes, maybe it might be worth photographing the salesroom pages? Also, lots of the reader's Q&As which read as astonishing now: Queen Anne shilling? 1/-6d if in fine condition, maybe 2/- if well preserved etc. Oh, for a time machine….

Edited by Michael-Roo

It can be a real eye-opener looking at past catalogues. To keep it topical, Cuff (1854) had a lot of Carlisle siege pieces including a few duplicates that sold from a pound upwards. Today these would go for a five figure sum. I know that one coin I bought 10 years ago for 1800 was part of a 4 coin lot in 1909 that sold for 17s6d!! Or the Henry VIII testoon that graced the front cover of the 2009 Coins of England, sold for £34K in Marshall (2004). In 1802 it was one of a 2 coin lot in the Tyssen sale which made a couple of quid.

Yes prices have gone up, but so has the number of collectors able and willing to pay for coins. 100 years ago, only the mint state or best(ish) known pieces tended to command top dollar with everything else seemingly going for a small multiple of face value, thus reflecting the relatively few deep pocketed collectors. Today, the average collector is unquestionably wealthier than those of yesteryear, and the population is significantly greater. When that is set against the reducing number of top quality coins available due to museum accessions and the fact that by and large the total number of coins available is essentially static, then there was only ever one way that prices could move.

Edited by Rob

So much more than coins.Yep I need one to hold and study. My £2 ew on Arthur in the National won't buy me one....but Nando's for my girls tomorrow(today) will.

December 1904…...

Connoisseur-Siege.jpg