British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Bronze & Copper Collector

opinions on lot 558 of june LCA auction - 1861 8/6

Lot 558 June LCA auction... description:

Penny 1861 8 over wiry 6, Gouby AA dies D+d, of the same style as the overdate pictures in Gouby page 41, Fair, Gouby states only one example known, this clearly a second example, Ex-Baldwins Argentum sale 2/11/2012 Lot 558

I would like to have your opinions as to whether the coin matches Gouby's image

I have an example EXACTLY as imaged by LCA but have never really felt that it matched Gouby's image, and have never been able to pinpoint it other than possibly an 8/8.

Your opinions please. I will try to get images of mine posted if I can get to them somehow.

157_1181_2.jpgThanks

9 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Lot 558 June LCA auction... description:

Penny 1861 8 over wiry 6, Gouby AA dies D+d, of the same style as the overdate pictures in Gouby page 41, Fair, Gouby states only one example known, this clearly a second example, Ex-Baldwins Argentum sale 2/11/2012 Lot 558

I would like to have your opinions as to whether the coin matches Gouby's image

I have an example EXACTLY as imaged by LCA but have never really felt that it matched Gouby's image, and have never been able to pinpoint it other than possibly an 8/8.

Your opinions please. I will try to get images of mine posted if I can get to them somehow.

157_1181_2.jpgThanks

In my opinion it could be either , 8 over 6  or  8 over 8 as such , I wouldn't by it .   Terry

More to the issue is whether it matches Gouby's image. Has LCA identified it correctly,  or is it something not yet recognized. I'm not so much interested yet in what the overdate actually is, but rather is it properly attributed as the Gouby variety that LCA claims it to be.

I've had a good look at the picture on page 41 in Goubys    BP 1861 AA . The LCAs  example has the same faint arc to the left of the 8 , which seems to continue through the lower hole at the bottom of the 8 .  No sign of this line continuing on the Gouby example.  It also differs in that the hole at the top of the 8 is smaller , and the first 1 in the date is slightly rotated anticlockwise . Its possibly the same die, at a different stage in its life , but I think its hard to be certain .  I've probably not helped much.     Terry     

It doesn't look much like Gouby's example in my opinion. In fact, I'm not sure the condition is good enough to be sure what it is exactly. Maybe in hand one can make a better judgement - I certainly wouldn't buy it based on their photo.

Here is a better picture of the said variety, probably an 8/8Fr18 8 over 8 rev small.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Here is a better picture of the said variety, probably an 8/8Fr18 8 over 8 rev small.jpg

Thanks Bernie,

Can't beat a high grade example for a strong opinion.

Certainly now looks more like an 8/8 as I originally suspected and definitely NOT the variety as imaged by Gouby, nor is it properly attributed in the LCA auction.

Thanks everyone, just needed a little sanity check.

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Thanks for clearing that one up Bernie - does yours have  obverse 2 ?

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Hi Richard,

Just to keep it clear, mine does have obverse 2, I'm sure Bernie's does too.

Oc2NQVp.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

The obverse is obverse 2

So this coin became available again at the latest LCA, and I bid for it, and won it - before I became aware of this thread from a couple or so years back. 

Lot No 1253: Penny 1861 8 over wiry 6, Gouby AA dies D+d, of the same style as the overdate pictures in Gouby page 41, with the underlying digit similarly positioned, but of a more wiry style Fair

My fault for not checking properly. It's obverse 2, not 6 - so it's not a 33A. 

But whether 8 over 8 or 8 over 6, not certain. Probably 8 over 8 and misattributed by LCA. Still an interesting acquisition either way  

This is ex Baldwins 3.11.12, Lot 558.  

F33A2.jpg

F33A obv.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

19 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

So this coin became available again at the latest LCA, and I bid for it, and won it - before I became aware of this thread from a couple or so years back. 

Lot No 1253: Penny 1861 8 over wiry 6, Gouby AA dies D+d, of the same style as the overdate pictures in Gouby page 41, with the underlying digit similarly positioned, but of a more wiry style Fair   

I'd like to know what a "wiry" 6 is? Where else is it used / seen? :huh:

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

I'd like to know what a "wiry" 6 is? Where else is it used / seen? :huh:

Well I suppose best described as a thinner line than might be expected - hence wiry. Never heard the expression before though, not as it relates to a coins overdate any rate. 

In a paradoxical sort of way, I'm actually quite pleased I bought it. It will go nicely in the oddments drawer and could prove a talking point in the future.  

• Like 1

Just now, 1949threepence said:

Well I suppose best described as a thinner line than might be expected - hence wiry. Never heard the expression before though, not as it relates to a coins overdate any rate. 

So do you think it's just a lighter strike so the 6 wasn't fully punched? Otherwise I don't understand it - where did a "wiry" 6 punch come from?

5 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

So do you think it's just a lighter strike so the 6 wasn't fully punched? Otherwise I don't understand it - where did a "wiry" 6 punch come from?

I can't pretend to be an expert on coin minting, and certainly not on letter/numeral repairs - which is where the 8 over 6 and 6 over 8 are touted to originate from. But I'd imagine that it might have to do with the attempted removal of the incorrectly punched number, prior to the correct number being stamped.  

• Like 1

It is my opinion that this thinner appearance comes from the metal displacement when the die was recut. If you imagine you had stamped a letter into plasticine and then stamped another letter over the top slightly misaligned, the underlying letter would become thinner due to the movement of the plasticine under the pressure of the new stamp. It seems to be quite a common effect with recut letters/digits.

• Like 3

That makes a good deal of sense, thank you. :)

I agree with Bernie that it's probably a misplaced 8 (from a single digit punch) - it looks much the same as the 1880 over 8 below.

1385775369_1880F998over8revzoom.JPG.bef2580f33254f64ce8ece2e77b9ad6f.JPG