British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ThePrepper

INTERESTING DAY YESTERDAY....

yo! went to the historic dockyards down at Portsmouth yesterday....saw the Mary Rose.....it blew my brains out.

remember watching  it being raised on tv back when i was a nipper....apart from all the obvious stuff, stunning cannons with flint-filled cartridges (brutal), skulls with arrow holes in the top, weapons, clothing, personalised carved bowls, surgery tools, yew bows etc etc the things that really hit me were going out into the top level and the smell hitting me....gorgeous.....and there was a tile that was salvaged that had a dog pawprint in it.....500 years ago the tilemakers dog stepped into this one whilst being made and it was still fired and then found its way onto the rose....dunno why, but it just fried me head.

anyway....of course there were some outstanding coins, many in gold from the pursers chest/room.....seems he was also a numismatist lolol....one of the coins dated 60 years earlier and there were also foreign examples...the silver ones were mainly lumped to gether but the gold was of course pretty much untouched.

so.....y'all get there....the way theyve got it displayed is staggering....you will not be disapponted!! and added to that the antiques shop which is based there is mindblowing....old flintlocks, samurai swords, an array of fairbairn sykes originals, masses of medals and old toys from my youth, clocks, books, ship navigation pieces, jade, ancient coins, paintings etc.....

and then later....i was given a load of coins....got a bit excited initially as one seemed to be a 1788 spade half but it felt too light and sure enough was a peverell once i researched....but also an old nuremburg jeton....1807 penny....1723 irish ha'penny...1853 penny, all very nice....various other copper and a ton of threepences, sixpences, farthings etc plus some nice unc decimal stuff including first 2 pound coin, five pound coins etc etc....and a bag of foreign coins from just about everywhere...usa to hong kong to 1st and 2nd ww german, europe, singapore, malaysia, russia etc....

so...a good all-round day of coins and general chocolately-goodness!!! booyakasha!

prep

• Like 2

Wandering round antique and junk shops for a few hours, is my idea of heaven. Especially if there are Grandfather clocks ticking in the background, which adds to the restful and absorbing atmosphere. 

Beats any other form of doorstep shopping, which is mostly hellish. 

• Like 1

doorstep salesmen?

will not take no for an answer

By the way Baldrick got plenty offers of cash down at the docks , mostly around sixpence