British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi, this coin was in a small collection of my fathers, could anyone help by telling me if the toning on the coins is a good or bad thing? My photos don't show all the colours in toning, lustre? I have a few others which have the same toning.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Toning is a natural process.  It can be attractive, or not.  However, cleaning coins to remove it will generally ruin them from a collectors' point of view.  Best left alone!

Welcome by the way!  What other coins have been handed down to you?

Guest suemo

Thank you, what kind of condition would you say the coin was? I'm not sure about the other coins, they are all British, some copper, a few 1935 jubilee crowns I think and some silver coins ranging in date from 1820 to 1890.

It's around the fine mark for wear, but has had a hard life.

It is a bit battered and therefore value would be less than F.

Touche Rob.

To be honest there are many pennies in this grade of this date - I find it hard to value at more than £3 .

Dont rush to slab it!

I would say if all the coins are the same that they have all been cleaned at some time so are worth very little , dont hold your breath for a great valuation from a dealer.

What you see is not lustre that went years ago on this coin