British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
newcoincollector

Fake / Counterfeit Half Crown 1942

As you say, a real one would weigh 14.1g, so the other one will not be the real deal :)

Welcome to the Forum NCC :)

It certainly looks it, although toning/aging can be done artificially. Haven't seen one this late on before.

Why would anyone go to all the trouble of making a fake of a coin that even if it was genuine would not be worth much money.

It must cost more to make than its value.

According to one site I used a pound is worth about GBP 4.50 in today's money.

More likely i'ts been in the ground, and leached some of the copper into an acid soil. Dug alloy coins are often underweight.

Jerry

thanks for the replies. it is slightly fatter than a real one but the width is good. interesting to hear that it may have leached some copper but doesn't seem too worn. i have worn ones but they all weigh 13.7 and up.  has anyone else 1920-1946 fake half crowns?

The rims, denticles and devices look very poor and not regular; the weight loss is about 10%. Admittedly but a picture and not in hand but this still looks bad. The color off even for a putative 50% silver content coin. Appears counterfeit to me.

6 hours ago, newcoincollector said:

thanks for the replies. it is slightly fatter than a real one but the width is good. interesting to hear that it may have leached some copper but doesn't seem too worn. i have worn ones but they all weigh 13.7 and up.  has anyone else 1920-1946 fake half crowns?

Bearing in mind that 50% of the alloy should be silver, the weight loss is therefore about 20% of the copper content (as silver shouldn't be affected). I can't honestly see how it is possible that the coin can get fatter (I assume you meant thicker) despite losing such a high proportion of copper. So probably a fake I think. 

You can put the coin on your forefinger and give the edge a tap with another coin. The ring from a 50% silver coin sounds different to one with no silver (the ring from a 92.5% silver coin is particularly distinctive) 

It has a higher pitched ting to it. I can hear and feel the difference when i flip it . I will try the ping test with a pre 1920. Thanks for the replies

Can you test it for silver? If it did contain silver, very unlikely to be a forgery, the converse is also true. 

Jerry

Some silver testing kits aren't sensitive down to .500

The one I've got (bit old now) will give a blinding result for sterling, but a really unsatisfactory result on debased coins.

I've done the 'ping' test on the tip of my finger against a .925 and a real .500 and it doesn't have the same tone as the other two. It is not magnetic

It should be .500 silver so maybe write it off as a fake, we know not why!

Genuine high grade examples of these are available for a few pounds ...

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, ozjohn said:

According to one site I used a pound is worth about GBP 4.50 in today's money.

Noticed a mistake the pound should read halfcrown. Sorry about any confusion

jolly bad form this faking halfcrowns during the war

Guest koscoins

hi I have never seen a counter fit half crown and i have handled thousands 

this is dated 1913 obviously fake looks fake and only weighs 10.9 grams   

1913.jpg

1913r.jpg

1913.jpg

1913r.jpg

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

13.6 grams .non magnetic .It has the right die combination ,but has less ridges on the milling on the edge.

Edited by mick1271

On my iPhone I see reverse rim damage at 9 & 10 o'clock but the rest doesn't look too bad. Will have a look on laptop later this evening.