British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
WildCamper

Bar top ideas?

Hello everyone, I'm currently in the middle of building a bar in my garage. I've got loads of spare wood in which I've built the framework out of, I'm going to build two walls at either ends out of the 80's style coloured glass blocks and have lights behind as a bit of a feature. The front so to speak is basic bunk bed latts tightly fitted together in which I will stain a dark mahogany colour. The bar top is going to be made from new scaffolding boards sanded down, the only thing that I cannot decide is what to do on top of the bar top. I want to either lay shinny 2p coins and dull ones and make a bit of a pattern then clear epoxy resin over the top to get a really polished bar top finish or put different beer bottle tops on, then resin. What do you guys think, what would you go for?

Will put pictures up once finished.

Cheers Iain

If I remember I think Azda posted some pictures recently of a bathroom or kitchen that had been covered in pennies.

it looked quite good.

34 minutes ago, IanB said:

If I remember I think Azda posted some pictures recently of a bathroom or kitchen that had been covered in pennies.

it looked quite good.

Yes they do look quite good with the coins especially when they do a jazzy pattern, but then being a bar top the beer tops are quite fitting too. I'm stumped!

38 minutes ago, WildCamper said:

http://www.boredpanda.com/5-years-kitchen-bottle-cap-bar-top-thepassionofthechris/

It wouldn't take 5 years tho! I can get hundreds of these!

I like that but as you say, 5 years is a bit lightweight. :D

27 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I like that but as you say, 5 years is a bit lightweight. :D

I know, you wouldn't go round his house you wouldn't get a blooming beer??

Edited by WildCamper

hi....both ideas very snazzy-looking but.....maybe i'm missing something....

i used to be a post office postmaster....it was only a small post office but even so i regularly got bags and bags of brand new coins delivered to me in the weekly cash delivery.....no need to polish....new coins can be gotten easily from any p.o. or bank no?....

and when i was a nipper i was a doorman...i reckon that guys 5 years of collecting bottle tops were generated weekly in the club where i worked....surely just asking round your local boozers would save a bit o'time....

anyway....nice to meet you camper from a fellow outdoorsman....good luck with the project....go with the pennies dude....as i'm sure you know you can get huge lots of them on ''that online website'' for very little outlay along with a huge tin of brasso........(am i allowed to say brasso on here?) lol!

prep

ps.....maybe all the hoarders on here should chip in and help?....say, donate ten unc pennies each to your cause?

Hello prep 

thank you for your advise, yes as you say you can go into any bank and get some brand new 2p or 1p coins quite easily and it shouldn't cost the world to do. I have a big old vodka bottle full of shrapnel so should help! I also have a mate with a pub if I go down the bottle top route. I'm more swayed to coins tho as its fitting with my interests. I was in the garage until 1.30am laying the glass blocks then woke the wife up clunking round the bedroom!

Good job I'm building it,may need to put a bed in there when I'm in the dog house! Nice to speak too a fellow outdoor man like yourself ?

Atb iain 

Don't forget, if you use bottle tops most of them will have a kink in them from being levered off the bottle. ;)

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Don't forget, if you use bottle tops most of them will have a kink in them from being levered off the bottle. ;)

Good point! Coins it is I think! If money was no object I would do gold sovereigns that would look cool?

lolol....no no no....what i said about new coins was in reference to the guy in the link.....the coins he used couldve been gotten new i'm sure....

you however.....are a coin collector....which means you cant use new 2ps....youve got to at least use old pennies and let us lot enjoy your suffering when you have to shine them all up....lol

p

The bottle top guy was using US tops which are mostly twist off. UK crown cork bottle tops have top be levered off causing an unavoidable crease.

Looks a bit naff at the minute but with bar top, lick of paint, furniture, fridges etc should be ok, hopefully!

19 minutes ago, WildCamper said:

Looks a bit naff at the minute but with bar top, lick of paint, furniture, fridges etc should be ok, hopefully!

Can we hold the yearly Pre decimal meeting at the bar  Iain ;)

Sure it will be spot on when you get it finished.

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Can we hold the yearly Pre decimal meeting at the bar  Iain ;)

Sure it will be spot on when you get it finished.

You certainly can Pete! Always a tipple welcome here? Can't wait to watch coin weekly on YouTube whilst enjoying a imperial stout, bliss!

Where's the dartboard going? :)

3 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Where's the dartboard going? :)

You wont have any time for darts Jon as your on the door to keep all the hammered collectors out :D

28 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

You wont have any time for darts Jon as your on the door to keep all the hammered collectors out :D

We'll all be hammered Pete, it's a party. :P

27 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

They can go in the snug! Dart board on other wall? I really need a mortal Kombat arcade machine but that would be the gothic florin gone plus some more?

you need one of those tabletop machines that you ca sit down at....scrambler, defender, pacman, phoenix....ah, those were the days....i play unreal tournament and battlefield now but those old skool games can never be beaten....

e-z!

prep

Prep i am intrigued again :wacko:

I always look at other interests if shown....Bushcraft and Prepping :o

Whats that all about ?.