British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all, just a quick one...

Does anyone know if the standard currency 1838 and 1839 sixpences were struck with a milled edge or a plain edge, or both? 

Thanks, Jack

Milled edge.

There is an 1839 plain edge proof, however.

Hi Jaggy, that was my belief. It was just that I noticed there is a 1838 sixpence in the St James sale tomorrow which is stated as being plain edge. It is slabbed and said to have been cleaned but I am wondering if the plain edge attribution would suggest an impaired proof? I haven't personally come across an 1838 proof as they seem much more difficult to acquire than the 1839's. Maybe it is an incorrect attribution?

I tried to have a look at the St. James catalogue but it won't download for me. From memory (I don't have my reference books with me) there are no varieties listed for 1838 and I was certainly not aware of a plain edge currency piece. For my own purposes, I have trawled both ESC and Davies and listed the Victoria sixpence varieties (mainly for my buy list) and a plain edge 1838 isn't one of them.

I'm not really a proof collector although I do have a plain edge 1839 proof so not sure if there is an 1838 proof which would fit the description.

Who slabbed the coin and is there a certificate number we could look up?

Edited by jaggy

It's not a plain edge, the description is wrong.  The picture on the saleroom.com shows a milled edge.

Edited by Nick