British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

No idea. The initials on the truncation mean nothing to me. It looks like a me too fantasy issue with the hair so coarse. Is there possibly a trace of legend between 2 & 3 o'clock on the reverse? If so, it would most likely be a modifiedcopy of some sort. All conjecture.

Exactly. I thought the description and workmanship didn't at all tally. There are definitely border teeth evident on the 'blank' reverse too.

Edited by Michael-Roo

That looks distinctly UNLIKE a Royal Mint product. Garbage comes to mind.

Rogers 860 Advertising Toy Coin, Two types young and old Head, usually has advertisement label on back for Mellins Food or similar, mostly seen in Cardboard

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chingford said:

Rogers 860 Advertising Toy Coin, Two types young and old Head, usually has advertisement label on back for Mellins Food or similar, mostly seen in Cardboard

Just had a quick search and found some some photos of the two types.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=13836.0

My guess is that it's a metal prototype for the cardboard-and-foil advertising coins, as the obverse in the eBay listing is very similar to the one in Sword's link. The portrait is far too big, and so is the date, where the 1 touches the truncation. Compare both with a genuine 1878 obverse:

Victoria-Young-Head-Halfcrown-1878-S3889-ESC701-L11376.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peckris said:

My guess is that it's a metal prototype for the cardboard-and-foil advertising coins, as the obverse in the eBay listing is very similar to the one in Sword's link. The portrait is far too big, and so is the date, where the 1 touches the truncation. Compare both with a genuine 1878 obverse:

Victoria-Young-Head-Halfcrown-1878-S3889-ESC701-L11376.jpg

'ere. Wot u doing back again? I thought we'd lost you forever.

Welcome back :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Welcome back Chris! @Peckris

thirded ...nice articles in Coin news.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome back. :) I'm not sure I'll be a regular like before, but will certainly drop in every now and then to share in the madness...

• Like 3

On 4/11/2017 at 11:49 PM, Peckris said:

Thanks for the welcome back. :) I'm not sure I'll be a regular like before, but will certainly drop in every now and then to share in the madness...

Welcome home @Peckris 

• Like 1

Thank you Dave. :)

Guest Nathan

Never thought about checking my change before. Fairly new after interest through someone else. Found this in my pocket and wondered if someone could help. Would they be worth keeping hold off? Any help would be great thanks. 

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

You often see British overseas territory coins in your change. Although not strictly legal tender, their identical sizes means few people object.

As to whether they are worth keeping, there is no right or wrong way to collect. If you are happy doing so, that's your prerogative.

Keep 'em if you like 'em.  

If it were me, I'd probably keep the Magna Carta coin because it commemorates an important event in British history and I think it's a nice design on the coin.  It's quite scarce in the grand scheme of things (about 1.5 million minted) but not worth much if anything over face value.  And it's in decent condition too - better than your other ones there I'd say.

Now try to find the other commemorative £2 coins, there's about 40 different designs in circulation I think, and some of them are fairly hard to find.