British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

NK77

Olympic aquatics: Advice wanted on verifying a coin please.

Hi I have got into collecting coins in circulation over the past year. I went to an auction last week with my dad as he collect stamps and there were some coins. I won an Olympic carded set with a completor medal which I was delighted with. When I got home I was looked through and noticed the aquatic has lines over the face! (I'm glad i found oit after!) I'm trying to verify if this is real and welcome advice please. I have been told it's the low numbered carded ones which it appears to be. Am I best contacting the mint or does anyone have one and can show me the number and or a photo? The photos when I google differ greatly. Many thanks in advance. 

Mine has L08147448 on the hologram

Thanks Rob, just checked and mines the same but ending 444!

Where did you buy it?

I got mine from Mark Ray in Nottingham. It appears all the batch he had were this type. Right place, right time, I guess.

At an auction in Sheffield, I didn't even realise till I got it home!! I was happy with the uncirculated set with completor medal! Would you mind looking at pictures and giving me your thoughts please?

What do you need to know? If it looks like this, then it is the obscured face.

img223 - Copy.jpg

Thank you for your reply. It looks the same! I was after an expert to have a it if possible to verify it's real but everything is pointing to that, although need to figure out how to upload photos! I'm guessing you can't from phones.

Does anyone know the difference between the real and fake one please.

I have been searching and looking at pictures but wondered if there was an indicator ?.

If it is still sealed in the original pack then it's virtually certain to be right. Copies cost pence each from China, so the likelihood of them going to the trouble of copying the plastic is remote. It's not impossible, but you would expect to see a number appear on the market.

Is the plastic still sealed as delivered?

I have read the 'c' in pence is slightly different and the waves to the right are more straight. I'm not sure of anything else.

• Like 1

Rob yes the plastic capsule is sealed but the plastic sales wrapper is split.  

Here is a picture of a real one if it helos at all.

Aquatics 2012.jpg