British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy

1977 Proof Crown?

Could anyone tell me if the coin on the left is a 1977 proof Crown, the right hand picture is from a regular Crown I brought in 1977, along with everyone else at the time, and has remained in it's little plastic Natwest box.

Crown faces.jpg

Could be, with the caveat that you can't tell if it has been dipped/cleaned. Some strikes willl inevitably be better than others meaning you could get prooflike examples of early strikes. The quality of the legend seen on the left would lead one to question whether it's a proof or not given the digs. The one on the right is unquestionably a regular coin.

Here is my one if you would like a comparison.

Unknown.jpeg

Nice way of saying the OP coin is NOT a proof, I would think. Better struck, yes. Proof standard, no Details still not sharp enough, field not right, rim just not close..

3 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Could anyone tell me if the coin on the left is a 1977 proof Crown, the right hand picture is from a regular Crown I brought in 1977, along with everyone else at the time, and has remained in it's little plastic Natwest box.

Crown faces.jpg

Don't know if the left hand one is a proof, but these appear to be two minor varieties of the 1977 crown. The left hand one has smaller beads and the gap from beads to the legend is larger. On the right, the beads are larger and the gap is smaller. However, the only caveat is that the pictures are not exactly the same size, so I'm not 100% sure.

I dont know anything about them but the linear circle / rim appear different.

Although maybe just the picture and shadow.

Edited by PWA 1967

I found it loose in a job lot of other Crowns in a junk/bric a brac/2nd hand shop, I was after the 1960 Crown so brought the lot, so I don't think it has had much of a Proof life (if it ever was). Only noticed the difference when I was trying to decide which would go into the album and which into the spares box.

59 minutes ago, Gary1000 said:

It's probably a specimen issue that came in the presentation pack.

That's what I was referring to given their general classification as proof sets, but even then it isn't up to scratch. I hadn't even considered a frosted Cu-Ni or silver proof.