British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

King's Norton Mint, Anybody With Records?

Although not strictly British coins in topic, there is of course a bit of a link:

- What has become ultimately of them? I seem to recall them being ?absorbed by ICI or some such...

- Are their minting records, such as of the specimen trials they struck for foreign governments (presumable with the Royal Mint's blessing) available?

The reason I ask is that I was not only generally curious, but saw that the recent DNW lot of the 1977 Seychelles 1 Rupee and 50c appear to be very similar to "specimen strikes" that are being slabbed by PCGS (evidently by the ebay vendor and well known American foreign coin seller Margulies). I think that perhaps these were marketing pieces possibly related to them attempting to ramp up business between the 30s/40s and later 1990s.

In the Seychelles case cited, these are of interest because I am not sure that currency 1977 with the defunct obverse portrait of Mancham are unknown - or at least to the best of my knowledge & so those at DNW appear as what I would term "specimen" strike, and not quite proof.

Just how rare or common are these?

I think you will struggle to get an answer as very few people collect foreign on this forum, and even fewer with in depth knowledge.

Mrbadexample was asking me at the last Midland fair for foreign Heaton mint coins, so might have a similar interest in KN's output.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Mrbadexample was asking me at the last Midland fair for foreign Heaton mint coins, so might have a similar interest in KN's output.

He doesn't. :P

VS you might find what you're looking for if you post the question here. :)