British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

As he is the resident halfpenny expert this is probably one for Rob.

There's a 1717 copper proof halfpenny I've owned for some years which has an inverted reverse. Other copper examples which I've been able to find online all have an upright reverse and do not die match with my coin. The only perfect die match I can find with an inverted reverse is BMC 771 but all those I've found are in silver only. Does anyone know of others matching BMC 771 struck in copper?

Thank you.

1717-proof-obverse.jpg

1717-proof-reverse.jpg

1717-proof-edge.jpg

• Like 2

I'll look later. Just popping out.

Thanks Rob. Your input will be greatly appreciated as I've not been able to find any record of this one myself.

I think no is the answer, with the caveat that silvers are known both ways. So maybe the inverted ones were struck at a specific point in time and different to the normal en-medaille strikes. It is certainly scarcer than the upright die axis type.

Guest Darren

AlHi Rob

I have a large collection of old English penny and half penny can have a look at this 1876h half penny and let me know if it is worth much if you don't no d

20170321_170352.jpg

20170321_170337.jpg

20170321_170352.jpg

20170321_170337.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I think no is the answer, with the caveat that silvers are known both ways. So maybe the inverted ones were struck at a specific point in time and different to the normal en-medaille strikes. It is certainly scarcer than the upright die axis type.

Many thanks.

When you say 'struck at a specific point in time' are you aware of 1717 proofs being struck from existing dies some years later?

Also, could it be one or more test strikes of the BMC 771 dies where made in copper before producing the run of silver specimens?

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

Many thanks.

When you say 'struck at a specific point in time' are you aware of 1717 proofs being struck from existing dies some years later?

Also, could it be one or more test strikes of the BMC 771 dies where made in copper before producing the run of silver specimens?

What I was thinking was a different period of time in 1717 given the existence of 1718 silver proofs, but that doesn't exclude a 1718 run. Say the mint made a run of say 100 proofs, then at a later date it needed some more, so made another run which this time had the die axis inverted. Or it could be the other way round with a few special strikings made at the beginning of the issue with the bulk made later. The silvers are obviously special and one might assume made at the outset as momentos of the new coinage, which bear in mind was 16 years since the last coppers were struck. Who knows? I suspect we only have conjecture at our disposal.

1 hour ago, Guest Darren said:

AlHi Rob

I have a large collection of old English penny and half penny can have a look at this 1876h half penny and let me know if it is worth much if you don't no d

Difficult to say because of the picture quality. It looks to be a decent grade, but corroded, which will kill the value because it isn't a rare coin. Maybe a tenner on a good day?