British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Farthing error?

Hi!

I don't post here much (always reading the forum though!), but would like one of you knowledgeable folk to help if you can! I am just wondering what could have possibly caused my 1940 farthing to appear as it does? It is very dark in colour (with some red) and has a rough feel to it. The reverse appears to be slightly concave, and there is also a raised dot before the date. I imagine it must have been done during the minting process, so I'm just wondering if anybody knows how? The pics should hopefully show below, I've pictured it next to a regular farthing for comparison. Cheers!

33398211601_ebde21ef3f_b.jpg32712346533_da6fca9f02_b.jpg

It looks like the coin has been subjected to an acid dip to me, the rims are thinner as a result of the edge also being attacked

I was hoping it would be something more interesting than that, ah well!

Cheers for the reply