British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
WildCamper

2nd attempt!

IMG_1504_zpsl9dm9qz5.pngIMG_1505_zpswkbpekub.pngs1347.photobucket.coms1347.photobucket.com

See if this works!

Edited by WildCamper
user error

Doesn't appear to be working

9 hours ago, WildCamper said:

IMG_1504_zpsl9dm9qz5.pngIMG_1505_zpswkbpekub.pngs1347.photobucket.coms1347.photobucket.com

See if this works!

In Photobucket, go to your library, click on a picture you want, then click on the "direct" link to the right of the picture.  Then you can insert that link here, either by simply pasting it, or by using "Insert image from URL".

6 hours ago, Nick said:

In Photobucket, go to your library, click on a picture you want, then click on the "direct" link to the right of the picture.  Then you can insert that link here, either by simply pasting it, or by using "Insert image from URL".

Hi nick, I've tried all sorts, I've tried emailing it too my laptop from my iPad, copying it into pictures file then tried to resize and send it via that way no joy, I uploaded the photo's to photobucket, clicked on the photo and tried to send via the URL link as you said ( where the boxes are to the right) and still no joy! It should be very simple but still won't work. It's so frustrating it really shouldn't be this difficult, spent nearly 3 hours last night trying to do it, will try the direct link as opposed to the URL. Thank you for the advise tho.

5 hours ago, WildCamper said:

Hi nick, I've tried all sorts, I've tried emailing it too my laptop from my iPad, copying it into pictures file then tried to resize and send it via that way no joy, I uploaded the photo's to photobucket, clicked on the photo and tried to send via the URL link as you said ( where the boxes are to the right) and still no joy! It should be very simple but still won't work. It's so frustrating it really shouldn't be this difficult, spent nearly 3 hours last night trying to do it, will try the direct link as opposed to the URL. Thank you for the advise tho.

When you upload to photobucket, as Nick says, there should be a "direct link" - highlight and then right click and copy. Then when postin on here, click on the symbol above, to the right of the "underline" - it looks a bit like a chain link. Right click in the box where it says URL (disregard the greyed out text) and paste your direct link from photobucket into it, then click "insert into post". That has got to do it.     

13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

When you upload to photobucket, as Nick says, there should be a "direct link" - highlight and then right click and copy. Then when postin on here, click on the symbol above, to the right of the "underline" - it looks a bit like a chain link. Right click in the box where it says URL (disregard the greyed out text) and paste your direct link from photobucket into it, then click "insert into post". That has got to do it.     

Great stuff! I will try this tonight thank you! Cheers guys for bearing with me through this, your a good bunch.

• Like 1

This coin looks like it has been polished to the death unfortunately...

On 18/03/2017 at 10:42 PM, WildCamper said:

Yes it does look very shiny, so as novice would you always recommend avoiding this polished look when buying? You see I've seen some UNC coins on coin dealers and some are very shiny/polished and some UNC's are duller more patina. Would you guys always go for this style? And how does a newbie distinguish between polished to death and not polished just more shiny? 

Cheers iain 

Silver tends to naturally tone depending on how it was stored. I would expect to see some toning on any silver more than a few years old. 1887 Halfcrowns are really common in decent grades and some of them have lovely toning. I picked this one up last year: 1887-hc-3.jpg

Edited by Nonmortuus

23 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Silver tends to naturally tone depending on how it was stored. I would expect to see some toning on any silver more than a few years old. 1887 Halfcrowns are really common in decent grades and some of them have lovely toning. I picked this one up last year: 1887-hc-3.jpg

Thank you for the advise, it looks so much better than mine, I love the yellow toning ring round the reverse very nice. I bought this and a crown within a week of each other and really wish I had not bothered now.

3 minutes ago, WildCamper said:

Thank you for the advise, it looks so much better than mine, I love the yellow toning ring round the reverse very nice. I bought this and a crown within a week of each other and really wish I had not bothered now.

Good! An expensive mistake makes a much better teacher than attending the University of eBay (or Facebook) when studying numismatics. :)

We have all been there to a lesser or greater extent

1 hour ago, WildCamper said:

Yes it does look very shiny, so as novice would you always recommend avoiding this polished look when buying? You see I've seen some UNC coins on coin dealers and some are very shiny/polished and some UNC's are duller more patina. Would you guys always go for this style? And how does a newbie distinguish between polished to death and not polished just more shiny? 

Cheers iain 

Before you rush to condemn this coin, I would just point out that it doesn't appear from the photos, to have the classic scouring lines that come from polishing. The picture though isn't really good enough to tell. It may be that it is unpolished but dipped and that is why it has come up so shiny. In terms of grade it loooks quite high. Difficult to say from the pics.

Thank you gents for the comments. Yes with an abrasive one would expect to see hairlines or scratch marks as you stated and it doesn't seem to bad. I have picked up some rotographic books and working my way through them picking up tips and learning where the wear points are etc. Got so much to learn but I am really enjoying it along the way.

I still think it is polished with something like 'Duraglit' if anyone remembers that. Polishing can be done with metal polish and a soft cloth, not just wet and dry, which in any case can be bought in 12000 grade. If you can use ultra fine lapping paper to polish astronomical mirrors, then making a coin look like a smooth mirror is a piece of cake.

Rob your a wealth of knowledge ?

Edited by WildCamper

WC don't buy crap unless you are really flush.

Hi WildCamper,

if I can offer a piece of advice not on the coin but on the background that you place your coin on to photograph it. It looks like you have placed it on a hard kitchen worktop? 

If you accidentally drop the coin you may damage it, also some coins have high spots that are higher than the rim edge so will be touching the hard surface. Again you could damage the coin especially if you drop or drag it across the surface.

if you look at most of the photos on this site the coins are placed on a soft material to protect them.

All the best

Ian

6 hours ago, Peter said:

WC don't buy crap unless you are really flush.

That's not a very helpful comment I think.

We all made mistakes when we first started collecting. (I still have a cleaned matt proof 1902 crown sold to me (by W&W) as an AU currency from my early days.)

It's much better to make mistakes (and learn) with lower value coins like this one than diving into something serious like a Gothic Crown. 

My advice would be to buy from respected dealers / auction houses. They are expected to point out problems. 

The main positive Iain is you posted the picture and if you hadnt may of thought ok and bought others without realising

Maybe dont be tempted with ebay for a while as a lot is RANG and better to pay a bit more with a dealer and get coins that are ok.

Be lucky.

Pete.

• Like 1

It's a steep learning curve but if you are not sure I would recommend buying from reputable dealers initially until you get you eye in and can spot the off bargain on ebay etc. You will pay more, the dealers obviously have a living to make, but at least buying from a dealer most will give a fairly accurate description of the coin and will take it back if you are not happy with it in hand.

I really appreciate all the input from you all, I think from the short time on this forum that I have picked up a lot of information from all your years of knowledge. I would only now buy from a dealer and great tip about not taking photos on hard backgrounds, I just didn't think. Im certainly not embarrassed to make mistakes, it's how we learn just as long as I don't make a habit of it! I think if your not sure wait and ask questions, don't just buy.

i suppose it's a bit like buying a car when you know nothing about them, just because it's polished to high heaven doesn't mean to say it's any good.

leasons learning.

thanks Iain 

• Like 1

Good point Iain about asking questions .

I have just been speaking to a dealer asking questions and probably do some forum members heads in phoning them up.

The thing is that i want to learn and listen ......fortunately most people are more than willing to help :)