British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
IanB

Tom's screenshots

Screen 1.jpg

Screen 2.jpg

Thanks.  Now if only there was a 'like' button!  :D

All things come to he who waits:D

6 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

You can have mine, I haven't used it.

4 minutes ago, IanB said:

All things come to he who waits:D

Thanks Ian.  After all that I finally managed to get Photobucket to work.  It's been a frustrating day.  I've spent most of it on the phone trying to get an appointment at my GP surgery.
I feel like my Waiting XP have gone up by about 1000!

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

You can have mine, I haven't used it.

LOL

Not sure I'd use it either Rob.  More a case of FOMO!

19 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

I think it's a page coding issue.  If I narrow the window gradually, the like button disappears when the window reaches a certain width.  Sometimes it hops down to the next line, but not always.

Edited by Nick

This is what's been my biggest issue with the 'new' site! SO much scrolling! Plus the advert containers means the text 'slides' all over the place when I'm doing so!

IMG_3217.PNG

IMG_3218.PNG

Unsure of why Tom is experiencing so many obstacles. Perhaps, as Nick says, it is indeed a page coding issue. Maybe @Nordle11 can help.

With regard to Stuart's scrolling, I had the same problem on my phone, until I started using the forum in landscape instead of portrait. Now it's a lot easier. Make sure auto rotate is enabled first, though.

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

I think it's a 'simple' problem of multiplicity.  So many different devices and operating systems (Windows in various incarnations, Apple OS's, Android, Linux and probably others) it's perhaps not surprising that it's a challenge to get a site to work on all of them. 

However I no longer use my phone to access the site at all (due to the problems Coinery mentioned) and it's slightly annoying to miss out on some of the features ... including some of the administrative powers I used to have on the old site. 

I don't know if it's poor programming or just the best compromise that can be reached, given the difficulty.  But I suspect it can only get worse with time ... and if it does I shall probably just give up.  Hopefully that's an incentive for the designers to get a grip on things, though I'm not holding my breath on that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

I think it's a 'simple' problem of multiplicity.  So many different devices and operating systems (Windows in various incarnations, Apple OS's, Android, Linux and probably others) it's perhaps not surprising that it's a challenge to get a site to work on all of them. 

However I no longer use my phone to access the site at all (due to the problems Coinery mentioned) and it's slightly annoying to miss out on some of the features ... including some of the administrative powers I used to have on the old site. 

I don't know if it's poor programming or just the best compromise that can be reached, given the difficulty.  But I suspect it can only get worse with time ... and if it does I shall probably just give up.  Hopefully that's an incentive for the designers to get a grip on things, though I'm not holding my breath on that.

Most decent websites have "backwards compatability", meaning they cater for all users. So that when the design is modernised, users with older systems are still able to access as usual.     

Yes, I was surprised that the design software/templates were not fluid enough to be mobile friendly when it was first launched, I assumed it was teething troubles that would be ironed out eventually. I more or less understand the issues, but you do have to walk a long mile today to find a piece of web software that hasn't been designed to accommodate mobile and the various operating systems.

Edited by Coinery

Even on the pc the configuration seems a bit wasteful of space. Why it is deemed necessary to waste almost one third of the full screen width seems a bit silly. Hand held mobile devices are inherently compromised when it comes to functionality on account of the screen size, so I can see that viewing on them is a pain in the rear due to the inevitable stack-styled configuration of the page.

What was the over-riding advantage of the last upgrade? Previously the whole screen was used and the set up was less complicated - a bonus as most functions are not must-haves.

11 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

The other problem i've been shouting about is the uploads, have to upload 500kb then leave the thread and rejoin in order to upload again is a pain in the ass, this has been an ongoing problem since the new site went live 2 years ago? and nothing has been done about it