British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Does anybody happen to have a copy of the auction catalogue for the Shuttlewood collection (Spink 2001)? I have recently acquired a 1691 Tin Halfpenny that I have been advised is ex Shuttlewood. The coin is dated 1691 on edge but does not have a date in exergue and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the auction description for such a coin in the catalogue (if indeed it was sold in this sale). Thanks in advance for any help.

On 12/29/2017 at 1:10 PM, loose54 said:

Does anybody happen to have a copy of the auction catalogue for the Shuttlewood collection (Spink 2001)? I have recently acquired a 1691 Tin Halfpenny that I have been advised is ex Shuttlewood. The coin is dated 1691 on edge but does not have a date in exergue and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the auction description for such a coin in the catalogue (if indeed it was sold in this sale). Thanks in advance for any help.

No milled in Spink 151, which was only up to Elizabeth I. All the coins were sold through Spink, so it's likely to be in the Circular, if anywhere.

Not strictly true...his James I and Charles I farthing tokens are in there ;)

21 minutes ago, Colin G. said:

Not strictly true...his James I and Charles I farthing tokens are in there ;)

OK, I'll go with that. The remainder of his collection including James & Charles' silver was sold through the Circular commencing Feb 2001. His tin, copper and bronze was in the same issue, but there is no mention of a no date in exergue coin unless it was listed at a later date. First bit attached.  

img586 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, the coin does not appear to be any of those listed in the circular, it may be that the original attribution was wrong. Thank you for taking the time to send the scans.

I have just purchased two 1883 Halfpennies, both are slabbed by NGC and both are 'Rose on dress' variety. Freeman says that all 1883 Halpennies are reverse S so that is easy enough and they cannot be Obv 17 as that has a brooch. They also cannot be Obv 18 as according to Freeman that obverse is only found on Bronze Proof specimens. That leaves obverses 15, 16 & 19 and I am really struggling to differentiate between the 3 with regards to the subtle differences listed in Freeman. Would anybody be able to offer some insight?

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4476535-008/63/

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4476535-007/63/

First one could be obverse 15 (bulging forehead). Not sure about the second.

Hi Loose54,

I've heard it said that one picture is worth a thousand words, and when it comes to coin die varieties, no truer words have ever been spoken. To see the subtle differences between Freeman obverses 15, 16 , and 19, have a look at the photos of the Nicholson collection on the Colin Cooke website:

Go to: colincooke.com

Select: "Other", "Collections", "Dr. Basil Nicholson Collection of Halfpennies", "Part 5"

Then:

Items 455 & 457 = Freeman 340 & 342 = Obverse 15

Item 459 = Freeman 344 = Obverse 16

Items 460, 461, & 462 = Freeman 347 & 351 = Obverse 19

Let me know how this solution works for you. I can provide high resolution photos of those Obverse dies, if necessary.

• Like 3

Hi Cathrine, thank you for your guidance. I have spent a fair amount of time studying the Nicholson specimens and I have come to the conclusion that the 2nd coin (the lustrous one) is dies 15+S or F348 and that the 1st coin (the darker one) is dies 16+S or F348A. The F348A is listed as R18 so if that were the case then great but I would still be happy to be proved right or wrong!

All copper halfpennies of victoria a pretty rare in top grades the exceptions are 1841 (due to a recent hoard) 1853, 1854 and 1858

Hello Copper123,

I agree with your opinion that very high grade, young head copper halfpennies (with the exceptions you mention) are difficult to acquire.

Your mention of the 1841 hoard makes me recall my experience with that group of coins:

I acquired three choice specimens with very good color via the seller's eBay listings. When I sent them to NGC for certification, they were returned as "UNC Details - Altered Color". To get a second opinion, I took the three coins to Michael Gouby for his examination at his London place of business in April 2014, shortly before he closed up his shop. As anticipated, Mr. Gouby disagreed with the NGC verdict; I felt really good that my judgement about those halfpennies had been confirmed.

Have you heard of any experience by other collectors with attempts to have TPG grading for 1841 hoard halfpennies? (I've seen a couple of CGS graded coins that look to be hoard coins offered for sale, but the origin of those specimens is unstated in the listings.)

I bought quite a few from the last lot halfpennies & 1834 farthings.

I sent four different types to cgs.

1841 HP Graded 85

1841 HP              80

1834 F                 82

1834 F    REJ VERD

The grades and rejection i agree with and the one 80 although i have some better IMO was sent as a different type.

However none of the ones i bought had been messed around with or worked on and as there was so many obviously some were better than others :)

Edited by PWA 1967

I would say that this 1841 halfpenny, which is currently listed for sale on the Colin Cooke website, is an ex-hoard coin.

1841dfbufl225.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/01/2018 at 8:52 AM, loose54 said:

Hi Cathrine, thank you for your guidance. I have spent a fair amount of time studying the Nicholson specimens and I have come to the conclusion that the 2nd coin (the lustrous one) is dies 15+S or F348 and that the 1st coin (the darker one) is dies 16+S or F348A. The F348A is listed as R18 so if that were the case then great but I would still be happy to be proved right or wrong!

Hello Loose54,

With just marginally better Obverse pictures it would make it easier to make an accurate assessment.

Loose54,

To find better photos for various obverse and reverse dies for Victorian halfpennies, have a look at the images that can be found in the catalog archives on the Goldberg Coins website for Auction 31.

Here you will see the sale photos for the Cheshire Collection halfpennies. Unfortunately, a photo of obverse 16 is not included; however, I'm attaching an obverse photo of Freeman 344 (1881-H) from my collection for your reference.

BH1881-H - F-344 - Obverse 16.jpg