British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coventry93

The first world war 1914-1918 £2 misprint

Hi,

I have recently started to take coin collecting a lot my seriously and its my first time posting here and would like some information and knowledge on the 2016 the first world war £2 coin, i have noticed that the text on the side "for king and country" has been printed upside down. i have tried to do my own research on the coin with the misprint but have drawn a blank on all account and i was hoping somebody from this coining community could help. 

Kind Regards

Coventry93

Edited by coventry93

Hi coventry and welcome to the forum.

I would not have a clue but maybe someone can help you.

If it reads upside down though maybe try turning it over :o

As I understand it, the striking process puts the edge legend on the blank before striking the main design. That being the case, then the blanks will be fed into the press with the edge legends randomly either way up. Hence, you should find that the two types are more or less struck in equal quantities. Certainly, that has been my observation of the previous £2 coins over the years.

• Like 1

I agree with Dave, and the guide at the Royal Mint Experience tour also said the same when I went there earlier this year.

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:16 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Hi coventry and welcome to the forum.

I would not have a clue but maybe someone can help you.

If it reads upside down though maybe try turning it over :o

no need to turn it over just stand on your head.