British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
WildCamper

New to forum

Hello everyone, my names Iain from Nottinghamshire. I've been mostly collecting silver 1oz and 2oz coins but got rather interested in older English coins, crowns etc recently. Got a few but it's so addictive I spend all my spare time online searching for new ones to buy! Really exited to join the forum and learn lots!!

5 minutes ago, WildCamper said:

Hello everyone, my names Iain from Nottinghamshire. I've been mostly collecting silver 1oz and 2oz coins but got rather interested in older English coins, crowns etc recently. Got a few but it's so addictive I spend all my spare time online searching for new ones to buy! Really exited to join the forum and learn lots!!

Welcome Ian , I'm Terry , not much use to you though as a penny collector, but post any interesting things you care to talk about anyway.

Helllo terry I like any coins really, I started more for extra savings for the kids when I get older but find my self more interested in nuemasmatic side of it now. Thanks for the welcome.

Hi lain (ian) and welcome to the forum.

Pete.

Just looked again ....Whats wildfowling :o

Edited by PWA 1967

30 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hi lain (ian) and welcome to the forum.

Pete.

Just looked again ....Whats wildfowling :o

Hello Pete, thank you, Wildfowling is a type of shooting, bit like game but more concentrates on ducks / geese on the foreshore of rivers, lakes/marshes etc. You don't shoot big bags sometimes one or two,most of the time you don't lift your gun, just nice to be out at dawn and dusk seeing nature come alive.

Seeing nature come alive does not seem the right line to use as they are then shot :wacko:

With regards older coins you are looking for take your time and do some reading to get familiar with grading / prices before you end up buying too much.

Some good books and the search facility on here will allow you to read thousnds of old threads if you enter anything you are interested in.

Happy hunting (coins)and be lucky :)

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

Hi Iain,

Oh, I'm sorry, I've got to do it, welcome to the forum WC! :)

As you say, if you're thinking of inheritance  for the kids, you are FAR better off learning about the numismatic aspect of silver, rather than the bullion side.

A lot of the silver junk coins will, more often than not, be released at a price which far exceeds their bullion value, so you'd probably have to reach your coffin just to get the outlay back!

On that cheery note, you can move forward to the far brighter aspect of collecting historical coins. There is SO much to learn, but the rewards are great. To have a beautiful-toned Victorian crown, an Elizabeth I sixpence, or a beautifully struck-up Charles I halfcrown, made of sterling silver, is a delight that will far surpass the experience of owning just a lump of shiny old silver!

There are some VERY experienced collectors, dealers, and all round good chaps on here! Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

To have a beautiful-toned Victorian crown, an Elizabeth I sixpence, or a beautifully struck-up

:)

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Seeing nature come alive does not seem the right line to use as they are then shot :wacko:

With regards older coins you are looking for take your time and do some reading to get familiar with grading / prices before you end up buying too much.

Some good books and the search facility on here will allow you to read thousnds of old threads if you enter anything you are interested in.

Happy hunting (coins)and be lucky :)

Pete.

Hello Pete

Yes it probably was the wrong choice of words too use, I know what I ment I have a great habit of putting my foot in it! I also appreciate it's not everybody's cup of tea!

There is such a wealth of knowledge on here it's mind blowing, as  a newbie it's hard to try and buy a coin without getting ripped off by buying  a grade that isn't what it actually is due to lacking of experience and knowledge. I might think that a coin sounds ok for say £100 you might see it and think it's not worth £40! Horses for courses. I have lots of time to learn.

thanks for the advise, Iain 

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

Hi Iain,

Oh, I'm sorry, I've got to do it, welcome to the forum WC! :)

As you say, if you're thinking of inheritance  for the kids, you are FAR better off learning about the numismatic aspect of silver, rather than the bullion side.

A lot of the silver junk coins will, more often than not, be released at a price which far exceeds their bullion value, so you'd probably have to reach your coffin just to get the outlay back!

On that cheery note, you can move forward to the far brighter aspect of collecting historical coins. There is SO much to learn, but the rewards are great. To have a beautiful-toned Victorian crown, an Elizabeth I sixpence, or a beautifully struck-up Charles I halfcrown, made of sterling silver, is a delight that will far surpass the experience of owning just a lump of shiny old silver!

There are some VERY experienced collectors, dealers, and all round good chaps on here! Enjoy!

Thank you coinery for the welcome and great advise, yes there is much more pleasure with the coins and hopefully with the investment side, I love the history to them also. Think a gothic florin is my next purchase they look a lovely coin! Just need to do lots of homework first!

thanks again, atb iain

Hi everyone

I  like watching historical documentaries and I am a beginner .

Next week ,I am going to London to have a trip.

The question is where to buy a metal detector in London.

Would u give me some advice?

111111.JPG

I only know of 3 or 4 metal detector shops but none in central London sorry. I'm sure there is why I just don't know where. Regton are based in Birmingham and have both on online and walk in store. http://regton.com

hi....ta for the metal detector info...thats something i wanted to know  too....any advice on what to buy exactly please? presumably the more you spend the better it gets as with everything of course but.......?

regards

prep

On 04/04/2017 at 1:50 PM, ThePrepper said:

hi....ta for the metal detector info...thats something i wanted to know  too....any advice on what to buy exactly please? presumably the more you spend the better it gets as with everything of course but.......?

regards

prep

I don't have one but have been reading up a little as I have a couple of permissions in places all ready to go. The names that seem to keep popping up are the:

Golden Mask, http://thrace-detectors.com/product/277/golden-mask-5.html

XP Deus, http://regton.com/xp-deus-metal-detector.html

And

Garret Ace 400i http://regton.com/garrett-ace-400i-metal-detector.html

I don't have any experience with any of them, so please read up yourself. However those are the names that keep popping up when people ask about which detectors to go for.

hi....thankyou mate....appreciated, will do some research!

prep

yo....ok....i've really caught the bug.....turns out a guy i know through a close friend is a dectector on youtube and after messaging him i ended up spending most of the last week watching videos mainly by youtuber addictedtobleeps who's a superstar as well as many others like man with the hat and deep digger dan....

will be registering with fid and ncmd very soon and am looking at getting a cscope 6mx and following in bleeps footsteps....have also joined a forum....

just need to sell my remaining vital organs and then somehow get permissions and also join a club....

look out!!!!

p

addictedtobleeps :lol: deep digger Dan :lol:

What coins have they found prep ,anything worth telling us about ?.

Following in bleeps footsteps.............:o

Pete.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....i'm not interested in finding ''coins worth telling about'' as such.....i'm an outdoorsman and love my history.....and my favourite films when a boy were indiana jones......so maybe youre missing the point.

and apart from items like his papal bullah and a whole ton of hammereds etc etc i guess hes found nothing no.....and neither have all the members of his club with their folders full of ancient coins of every description....and guess what....if all the people out there who found hoards, jewellery, settlements, burials etc didnt follow in those kind of footsteps i reckon most museums would be half empty. and the fact is that his enthusiasm and sense of humour seem to be enough to inspire more people than just me....

shame on you sir.....if you get more satisfaction from finding a lovely coin thats only lovely because its had no personal history and sat in a draw for a 100 years and then paying your hard earned over for it in a nice safe shop away from mosquitos and cow turds then fine.....

i'll trample around in the mud and poop and when i pull out my first hammered or roman in horrible condition i'll be full of joy and the birds will be tweeting around me and i'll have either the sun or snow on my neck.....AND I'LL FEEL ALIVE!!! ALIVE I TELL YE!!!! AND ENTHUSED WITH THE HISTORY IN MY HANDS AND UNDER MY FEET!

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

prep

Yeah i get that is what its all about and can understand people going out and enjoying the day.

After watching a couple of his videos i found them really good.

Although yes i will stick to going in a shop as not sure about the mosquitos and cow turds ;)

my mission in life is to get you in a pair of wellies and together we will find gold!!!!!!....my mancunian raver the force is strong in you....i have hope in my heart for you still....

you'll also be pleased to hear that my book collection is growing....i now have coin yearbook...grading brit coins....bronze coinage and spink 2016....whens 2017 come out? if its next week i'll be very annoyed.

p

16 minutes ago, ThePrepper said:

shame on you sir.....if you get more satisfaction from finding a lovely coin thats only lovely because its had no personal history and sat in a draw for a 100 years and then paying your hard earned over for it in a nice safe shop away from mosquitos and cow turds then fine.....

It's difficult to see what personal history a detector find has given it has been lying in the ground for a few centuries. I would view a coin that has a documented history going back to when it was struck as far more personal.

You find a coin in a shop or at a fair and you get a buzz. You find a coin with a detector and dig it up - you get a buzz. Vive la difference.

erm....like.....who held it?.....where has it been?.....how did it get here? are there more? where am i?

none of which really apply to an unc in a plastic wallet. and 'finding' it at a fair implies its not exactly lost....

or am i crazy?

Spink 2017 came out a few months ago but i wouldnt bother as not really much difference for reference.

Which type of coins are you interested in ?

I dont just stay in thats more to do with health issues at the moment ,but spent forty years fishing so enjoy the outdoor life.....also have the wellies :)

ok....i know i'm crazy but i'd much rather climb mount everest myself than watch someone else do it on tv from the safety of my front room....

anyway it has now become evident to me that i'll always be a coin collector and never a numismatist....

Edited by ThePrepper

You can get coins that have a fully documented history from a shop.

I've got one that I am reasonably certain as to whose hands it has been in since it was given by Elizabeth I.

PC's Rawlins Oxford crown, we think has a fully documented history back to Sir Henry Gage, Governor of Oxford who was killed in an attack on Bletchingdon House in January 1644/5. I'd say both those were pretty personal, and not just a dream.

• Like 1