British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
relaxcraft

1871 Florin for sale davies 3A 3of3 cgs slabbed

I have this coin for sale on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1872-Victoria-Gothic-Florin-CGS-Graded-Slabbed-Davies-dies-3A-3-3-High-Grade-/201807267740?hash=item2efca6879c:g:eBIAAOSwPRlXnCtL

1872 Victoria Florin CGS graded and slabbed

37727 _ FL.V1.1872.01
Top cross does not touch the border beads
Davies dies 3A - 3 of 3

The coin it's self is in very good physical condition only one or two small edge knocks and a few very small surface marks on the front. Unfortunately the coin has been previously cleaned removing some of the original toning however it has been authenicated, graded and slabbed by CGS as Cleaned - Very Fine. I think this may have been a higher grade had it not have been cleaned..??? To look at the coin with the naked eye it appears darker than in some of the pics due to the flash and the light scouring that is highlighted but isn't really visible to the eye. Best pics 1,4,7. There is a similar coin on  http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=retailv2_details&uin=0011462 The population report suggests that this is the 3rd graded by them having only recently been returned, however not being a cgs member myself I can't verify this. The capsule has also been scuffed on the front as you may be able to see in the pictures, you could probably get it re slabbed at a reduced rate having already been graded but you'd have to check on that.

As i have noticed this posted a couple of times i would like to ask you a question :)

Why do you think the coin is worth so much ?.

I dont know anything about them but looked at the prices  should the coin have been ok.

• Like 1

Sadly, any value it had disappeared with the harsh cleaning.  I think that the Spink VF price of £45 is much nearer the mark than the asking price £450.

A variety that isn't 'in your face' so to speak, always has an uphill struggle against a generally undesirable attribute (such as application of the brillo pad). To check you have to use a glass, which makes the impairment 20x worse!

12 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

As i have noticed this posted a couple of times i would like to ask you a question :)

Why do you think the coin is worth so much ?.

I dont know anything about them but looked at the prices  should the coin have been ok.

Hi yes this post is a duplication as I couldnt post in for sale. London coins sold the first of it's kind for £420 in 2015 davies 3A dies the second they had was up for sale for £600 thru 2016 I pressume that has been sold now, this one the 3rd is in similar physical condition in my oppinion in terms of the detailing that is still present and the sharpness of it. It would appear that it had at some point been cleaned around the centre section altho this isn't really noticable to the naked eye (I'm not an expert) it is visible on the pictures with bright flash which has also been unbrightened on picture editing so that the physical detal could be seen. I was going off of the second ones price minus £150 due to the damage done to the toning .

9 hours ago, Nick said:

Sadly, any value it had disappeared with the harsh cleaning.  I think that the Spink VF price of £45 is much nearer the mark than the asking price £450.

it really isnt going to sell for £45, I might try to get some less flashy pictures that maybe exagerate " scouring" .. hhhm or maybe take it out and fondle it then give 25 years for more patina...???? lol

19 hours ago, relaxcraft said:

Hi yes this post is a duplication as I couldnt post in for sale. London coins sold the first of it's kind for £420 in 2015 davies 3A dies the second they had was up for sale for £600 thru 2016 I pressume that has been sold now, this one the 3rd is in similar physical condition in my oppinion in terms of the detailing that is still present and the sharpness of it. It would appear that it had at some point been cleaned around the centre section altho this isn't really noticable to the naked eye (I'm not an expert) it is visible on the pictures with bright flash which has also been unbrightened on picture editing so that the physical detal could be seen. I was going off of the second ones price minus £150 due to the damage done to the toning .

Unfortunately all the scratches are apparent to the naked eye and at that point it kills the coin and any thoughts of a £450 sale